What is the yellow thing around my goose eye?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone!
Gladstone is my pet African goose. I noticed that he has something yellowing around his eyes. At first I thought it was part of his African goose breed but it seems to be getting bigger and interfering with his eyesight! Here are some pictures. Of both eyes! Are they mites? Other type of parasites? What should I put on them? Mineral oil?
8A59DEE1-9F5F-4060-8FF1-9470FCE4D188.jpeg
57BF3BEE-00F8-4E10-A8DE-47E2D4D1DCBB.jpeg

Checked his skin in different areas! It’s pink. Not yellow.

Those members that keep African geese...do any of yours have the yellow ring around their eyes? It doesn’t seem to bother him. If they are mites maybe I can appy mineral oil to the area?

I looked at some photos of mine, and they do not, but some strains do.

1600945463196.png

Same case in this thread as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ck-nob-has-yellow-on-it-here-is-a-pi.1230977/

Unless he is itching the eye often throughout the day I would not worry, In general, if waterfowl are kept in good condition they rarely suffer from diseases.

ETA- my Toulouse Gander has yellow lining around both eyes.

Last edited:
I don’t know much about it because I haven’t expierienced this, but the feather loss does make me think there could be mites, hopefully someone who’s dealt with this comes along.

All I can find is this http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/mites

There are sicknesses that can cause birds eyes to swell up and get bubbly so that’s something to watch for, but I suppose if there’s mites irritating his eyes he could be rubbing enough to cause other issues too.

Thank you for your help. In this case
There is no:
rubbing,
Feather loss
Swelling
Or bubbly

Thant’s why I thought it was part of his breed.

It it’s mites, is there anything I can put on the eye area to rid him of them?

I also forgot to say he is about 5-6 years old!

Thank you.

if it’s a liver issue a vet should probably see him. Milk thistle helps but denamarin is more effective because it’s in a purified form. It can only do so much but I’ve seen that it does have a beneficial effect.

Are his droppings really loose and watery? That can be a sign of liver, kidney, parasite, and many more issues.

Back
Top Bottom