What is this? Do I wait or do something (GRAPHIC!)

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I have a newly hatched chick. It has to be within 24 hrs old. I heard the little guy this morning when checking on Mom. Tonight I wanted to see the baby and was surprised at what I found. Can anyone tell me anything???

45848_9-28-2010mc.jpg

45848_9-28-2010mc_1.jpg

Is this something that will go away or do I have to do something??? I've never seen this before but then again I haven't had much experience with hatching chicks. The chick does move around ok.

I have never seen a prolapsed vent in a newly hatched chick, but that is what it appears to be. Is that a Japanese chick? treatment would be with preparation H or honey and warm soaks. You might be able to put it back inside.

Wow have never seen the red like that on a newbie.Have had un absorbed yolk and stuff before.If you can isolate the chick with heat and food and water it May survive not sure.Most likely it is weak and the others and mama will continue to trample it.I would try to save it but no gaurantee's.Please update Us on it.

So far it's the only chick. It moves around fine. It laid there I think because it was scared. I had trouble trying to catch the little bugger under Mom. Mom was nice, she didn't go after me. She isn't even a year old yet and is sitting on a bunch of eggs. This bird is a French Black Copper Maran.

Should I do it now or wait till tomorrow morning? The chick is warm under Momma. If I have to do it now I'd get right to it since I'm really tired. Just brought hubby home from hospital. It never ends.

Take it out tonight. Mom and the other birds/chicks will start pecking at it and eat the little one alive--The bright red of the prolapse makes it irresistable for pecking.

ETA: Sure seems like it never rains but it pours. Hope you dh is on the mend and doing well.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Ok, so far so good. It took me a while but I did it. I did what fattie said in her other post. In order to get what ever it was sticking out back in I had to use a Q-tip. The warm water really helped. The little bird was a sport and didn't panic. If anything it liked the warmth. I hope it stays. From what I could tell it is the only chick that has hatched so far. I put the baby back with Mom. Other then a little wet hiney I think it will be just fine. Here are pictures. Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know tomorrow if anything has changed.

45848_9-28-2010mc_5.jpg

45848_9-28-2010mc_4.jpg

45848_9-28-2010mc_3.jpg

Thank you Kittymomma, hubby is doing ok. Just one little snag. He just woke up thinking it was Wed. morning...... ugh.

Back
Top Bottom