What is this foot disease? mites? bumblefoot? pics on post #8

In the first picture just below the third toe looks like bumblefoot without the telltale scab. Is that bumblefoot? Is that a chicken foot?

I see that you are washing the foot. Can more of the poo colored goo come off.

Do all silkies have feet like that?

What does the other foot look like? Please post a picture so we can compare.

What kind of flooring has she been on? Wire, pine shavings, cedar????? The toenails are WAY overgrown for one thing. That could be causing some problems as well.

Quote:
In the winter it gets down to -40 so we have her in a shed. wood floor but lots of straw. so we are just starting to thaw and they just started going outside.

I will get more pictures shortly I just put her to bed she was stressed out.

When I saw the last picture on this site, I thought it looked like extreme scaly leg mites. The last picture waaay on the bottom when you scroll.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Health/Dis/scaly.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It could very well be that. I would go ahead and start treating for scaley leg mites now, it wouldn't hurt. Theres lots of threads on here about how to treat it. I've haven't had that problem yet so I'm not sure how.

Quote:
Yea I dipped her in alcohol and put vaseline. God when I look at other birds feet my bird, from day one, looked mutated. Now I know why!

I think you may be right mitx. A severe case of scaley leg mites, maybe with an infection as well.

This rings a bell with me. I think something very similar was posted several months ago, with the consensus being mites.

You may want to go back to your original post and change the topic(title) to something like
"What is this foot disease? mites? bumblefoot? pics on post #8"
You might get more attention.

Good luck
Imp

Uhhhhh some thing is very wrong with that foot! First, clean them off if you can... in a nice warm bath and blow dry them so we can see it without all the dirt. Second, I've never seen a chicken with nails that long! Holy Moly! Third, the foot itself doesn't look normal, almost overgrown and 5 toes? They look like barbequed chicken. I am sorry I can't tell you what the problem is, but it looks deformed, diseased maybe and painful. Can you take it to a vet?

If they have been on straw inside the coop for most of the winter, there probably isn't any way for them to naturally trim their toenails. You may to clip them in the winter time to prevent them from growing so long.

Back
Top Bottom