What is this large hollow growth?!

Thank you for your insight! I am squeamish, but raising chickens has taught me how to get over it :). So I would cut off the black part with a sharp knife or could I snip it off with sharp scissors? Should I expect her to bleed - it won't hurt her? I will get the vetericyn tomorrow and give it a go. Should I be looking out for maggots? I just got light headed even thinking about it... It is pretty incredible what chicken love can compel you to do!

Thanks so much for your help.
I would avoid using scissors or a knife just in case there's anything important hiding under the big hollow piece.

If you can, possibly get some gloves and pull it off with your hands, that way you can control how much you're removing and see what's underneath while you go. If there are any maggots, you can use a syringe full of antiseptic (any of the ones listed) or saline and 'blast' them out with a stream of it. You may have to do it by hand if they go deeper then just the surface.

I hope everything goes well!! Keep us updated. We're all rooting for her. ❤️

I'm wondering if it could be an abcess that had filled enormously and then broke up and run out of the fluids...or a big bruise. I have seen pictures of very big bruises in horses, when they were cut open and the fluids were run out afterwards they looked like empty sacs with an opening - but in those cases everything was soft, not hardened up.
I hope you can help your beautiful girl and she feels better soon ❤️

Warning - gross pictures ahead!

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas!

So that did not go nearly as bad as I thought it would. The mass softened up quickly once we had her soaking in the warm water for awhile. It broke apart easily and did smell BAD. There was no fluid, blood, or maggots (phew). It was like a ball of dried out cottage cheese that quickly began to break apart. We got a lot of it out and Poppy never showed any pain. Some big clumps came out and they were heavy and dense - no wonder it was hard for her to walk. There is still about half an orb remaining, but we will soak her again tomorrow and see if more of it breaks away.

We sprayed it with microcynAH and she is resting in a separate cage now.

I did notice another brown mark on her belly (see pic) that looked an awful lot like the one I saw on the mass. I don't know if that is useful information or not.

She seems okay - just bothered and annoyed. How it impacts her mobility seems to be the biggest challenge.

Thanks again - not sure what I would have done without all of your guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
Warning - gross pictures ahead!

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas!

So that did not go nearly as bad as I thought it would. The mass softened up quickly once we had her soaking in the warm water for awhile. It broke apart easily and did smell BAD. There was no fluid, blood, or maggots (phew). It was like a ball of dried out cottage cheese that quickly began to break apart. We got a lot of it out and Poppy never showed any pain. Some big clumps came out and they were heavy and dense - no wonder it was hard for her to walk. There is still about half an orb remaining, but we will soak her again tomorrow and see if more of it breaks away.

We sprayed it with microcynAH and she is resting in a separate cage now.

I did notice another brown mark on her belly (see pic) that looked an awful lot like the one I saw on the mass. I don't know if that is useful information or not.

She seems okay - just bothered and annoyed. How it impacts her mobility seems to be the biggest challenge.

Thanks again - not sure what I would have done without all of your guidance!
Oh wow! Looks like it was just a massive ball of pus. Good job getting everything off! I bet shes gonna feel much better. ❤️

When you start working one her again to get the rest out, try putting a piece of damp gauze over the second smaller spot and gently wipe away the dead skin in the very middle to make sure it's not building up the same gunk. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Even any that have been prescribed for you, list what you have and others may be able to tell which ones she can take and dosage to help her fight off the infection quicker.

Back
Top Bottom