What is this large hollow growth?!

anna p

Chirping
Apr 21, 2019
My partridge cochin has been keeping her distance from me for several days now, but still eating, drinking, and laying just fine. Today I noticed she was walking strangely, so I picked her up to examine her. She seemed to have some hardened poop on her foot, so I put her in a warm bath to soak it off and that is when I saw this massive hollow, weird growth on her front right side. She has such dense feathers, I only saw and felt the growth once she was wet. She is struggling to walk and it must be uncomfortable, but other than that, she doesn't seem to be sick or in pain as far as I can tell. She doesn't react with pain when I touch the growth. What is it and what can I do about it?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• poppy.jpg
    poppy.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 75
  • poppy 2.jpg
    poppy 2.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 57
I don't think it smells bad. not that I noticed. The black part looked similar to what seemed to be stuck on her foot, so I thought maybe poo/mud might have gathered on it - not sure! Thank you - yes I hope someone can identify this!

Wow. I can definitely say this is a first. I've never seen anything quite like that, except maybe on rabbits. I wonder if this started out as Flystrike, and the protruding piece is from them eating the flesh.

If you aren't squeamish, I would start by removing the necrotic (black) part of the wound. Once it's off, clean out the rest of the wound with chlorhexidine, betadine or vetericyn. If there's any pus, make sure you clear the wound completely. Pack it with Neosporin (no pain killer) and keep up the cleanings. She may need an oral antibiotic as well.

I would also bring her inside so the other birds don't pull it off or peck it.

If you can have her seen by an avian or farm vet that would be ideal.

Last edited:
Wow. I can definitely say this is a first. I've never seen anything quite like that, except maybe on rabbits. I wonder if this started out as Flystrike, and the protruding piece is from them eating the flesh.

If you aren't squeamish, I would start by removing the necrotic (black) part of the wound. Once it's off, clean out the rest of the wound with chlorhexidine, betadine or vetericyn. If there's any pus, make sure you clear the wound completely. Pack it with Neosporin (no pain killer) and keep up the cleanings. She may need an oral antibiotic as well.

And photos too:oops::pop

Thank you for your insight! I am squeamish, but raising chickens has taught me how to get over it :). So I would cut off the black part with a sharp knife or could I snip it off with sharp scissors? Should I expect her to bleed - it won't hurt her? I will get the vetericyn tomorrow and give it a go. Should I be looking out for maggots? I just got light headed even thinking about it... It is pretty incredible what chicken love can compel you to do!

Thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom