What is this Mystery Chick's breed?

FEggery

Chirping
Jun 8, 2016
Iowa
My first mystery chick was a buttercup roo who is now 9 weeks old. The little one is 5 weeks old and because of similar coloring and leg color I thought she was a buttercup too. BUT now I see a huge difference in her comb so she can't be a buttercup, she is sporting a single comb from what I can tell. What is she?

I am posting pics of the mystery girl and then the roo to show color similarities and comb differences.

I looked up the Hamburg and I think your right, except it's probably a Golden penciled Hamburg? But he doesn't look like the roosters of either breed, he looks like their hens! He crows a LOT....

Also the Campine is very likely! Thank you, I wasn't aware of that breed and they look a lot alike!

Sorry about posting here, just need help on identifying this chick, got it from a hatchery labled as a Delaware. The feathers on her wings are brown and black mottled? From my knowledge Delawares have mottled necks and black tail feathers. Any help on the breed? Or possible mixes?
[/IMG]

Thank you guys for any help
2764.png

I looked up the Hamburg and I think your right, except it's probably a Golden penciled Hamburg? But he doesn't look like the roosters of either breed, he looks like their hens! He crows a LOT....

Also the Campine is very likely! Thank you, I wasn't aware of that breed and they look a lot alike!
At 9 weeks old, he's too young for male hackle and saddle feathers. Those don't usually begin to develop until after 10 weeks old. And he is definitely a Spangled, not Penciled. He's still got juvenile feathering. If he were a male Penciled, he would be more red.

At 9 weeks old, he's too young for male hackle and saddle feathers. Those don't usually begin to develop until after 10 weeks old. And he is definitely a Spangled, not Penciled. He's still got juvenile feathering. If he were a male Penciled, he would be more red.

Ok, I didn't know! I am excited to see what he looks like after his big boy feathers come in then.

Sorry about posting here, just need help on identifying this chick, got it from a hatchery labled as a Delaware. The feathers on her wings are brown and black mottled? From my knowledge Delawares have mottled necks and black tail feathers. Any help on the breed? Or possible mixes?

Thank you guys for any help
2764.png

My hatchery Delaware girls went through this same coloring. They've basically molted out of it, they're about 2 months now.

Ok, I didn't know! I am excited to see what he looks like after his big boy feathers come in then.

Murray McMurray doesn't breed gold spangled hamburgs. Only silver spangled or golden penciled. So I am back to thinking a pencilled Hamburg for my roo...

Back
Top Bottom