What is this on her ears?

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I got a few new hens and they don't look very good cause. For one, they're moulting; however, now I noticed that there is something on their ears - white stuff.

Hens are 1 yr old, Easter Eggers, looking hawk like as they grow in their pinfeathers on their heads.

Here are two photos:

1esther2.jpg

1esther.jpg

ps. I did dust the coop with DE, but I don't think it's that. I noticed it yesterday before the dusting.

It's a little difficult to see without a closer pic, but could be an ear infection going on or mite clusters. Check the vent area for the same looking stuff. That will tell you if it's mite eggs. I have never seen it at the ears tho.

Jody

Is that attached to her ears? Or is it like on the skin/face patch?

EE's, white layers, and silkies have different colored face patches than let's say your buff birds where it is red. Hard to tell from the pics but are you sure it's not just the skin pigment?

I believe it is on the ear, but I will try and take better pictures later. I am trying not to bother them too much since they are so stressed.

If this is mites, then what? Do I need to order medication? Will DE work?

Seems that the EEgr's are more stressed than any of my other birds.... they are also more picked on. Could be partially that they are moulting and also a little smaller than the others. I thought EEgr's were supposed to be bigger, but not the case with these two.

Thanks... stay tuned for more photos later. Appreciate your help.

A few of my chickens, mostly my roos have a spot of white irradescent (sp?) color on the red flap right under their ear. They have always had it, developed at about 20 weeks or so and never left.

Is that what you are seeing? It is a bit hard to tell from the pics.

is it fuzzy stuff on her feathers? if so, it's probably mite clusters. easiest thing to do (if they are mite clusters) is to pull those feathers gently out and burn them so they don't hatch.

I finally caught her again and Tiffany and others are right - it's really just the color, or non-color, of her earlobe and the white-ish stuff around it are little shafts of the pinfeathers.

I'm just so worried about them because after I bought them and united them with my others, I read about quarantining. So basically it was too late. I was told to keep a close eye on them .... maybe I'm just too close
ep.gif

Wish all endings could be this good - Thank you all.

I'm glad to hear it turned out to be nothing but skin color. That's great! You're doing fine and asking questions is the right way to go. Good luck with them.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom