1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this predator? **** Coop Cam photo****

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StephensonC, Nov 13, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    When I went out a few mornings ago, I found what was left of 2 of my Guinea's laying on the ground approx. 6 ft from their sleeping spot. They didn't sleep in the coop with the chickens. They have slept in the trees most of their lives. Anyway, the only thing left was 1 head, 2 beaks, tons of feathers and what appeared to be intestine and it's contents. Our land borders the woods and our chicken coops sit to the back of the farm, closer to the woods than to the house. I have also noticed it looks like something has been walking around on top of the runs. It is made up of some sort of chicken wire fencing and there are areas that seem sunken in. Like something heavy has been walking on it. I haven't seen any tracks anywhere, but I know our woods contain raccoons and foxes. It's possible we could have bobcats, not sure about coyotes or hogs. However, there have been some spotted in our county. We put up a camera back there and have some pictures of both raccoons and foxes, but we can't seem to identify what this one is. I was hoping you guys could help me identify what could have killed my guinea's and could it have been "this thing" in the photo? Would also like to identify "this thing" in the photo so I will know what I might be dealing with. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    it looks like a black hairless dog of a chupacabara.

2 people like this.
  3. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Haha I know! That's exactly what we said!!

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Wild pig?

5. Roxxy

Roxxy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Looks like it's a dog or maybe a coyote.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Can anyone enlarge the picture and repost it?

7. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    OK...I enlarged and cropped a little.
    [​IMG]

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I hope that is a running wild pig. If it isn't, please keep whatever it is in NC! We don't want any down here in SC. :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Could this be the same thing? This was 2 days later. Or is this a bobcat?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. Mondari

Mondari Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2014
    Looks like a lynx or bobcat to me but I'm in Australia. It's different to the first pic, first pic looks like a dog with mange

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by