What is this predator? **** Coop Cam photo****

To me, it doesn't look like the critter in the first pic has a tail. If so, it rules out any kind of cat or canine. My first thought was a small bear. The light patch of fur on its butt is common to bears, as they often sit on their butts like we do. I've seen a lot of pigs, and it just doesn't look like a pig.

Bottom line.....regardless of what it is, you've got predator problems. All you can do it fortify your coop, and hope any of your birds who aren't inside at night can get up high.

I'd consider an electric fence if things get bad enough.

We've been lucky - we have lots of wolves, coyotes, skunks, and the odd bear, but we've never had any problems, aside from one skunk taking a few scratches at the ground around the girls' run at night, but he lost interest quickly.

My first thought was fisher cat too. That really doesn't look like a coyote to me. If you go to youtube and search for fisher cat you can get an idea of their range from other people's videos (which is further than what any wildlife agency claims). NC is way far south though, but you never know. Keep that trail cam going and see if you can get a better pic!

Mean little critters, so good luck trying to defend your livestock. I would be putting out live traps. Here's a video of a fisher rumbling with a fox!:

My very first thought was fisher because I've seen so many photos and videos of them, but in NC??????? That's WAY far south! I'm right at the NC border and the last thing I need to think is here, other than what we already have, is a fisher! Ack!

Keep us posted. I have no idea but would be interested to know.

If the Guineas were in a tree what could get to them? What could outrun them?
I know that's what I wondered. But, I don't know if it happened at night while they were in a tree roosting or if it was early morning after sun up. I found the feathers and stuff around 10am. They did have a favorite cedar tree that they would hang out and dust bathe under during daylight hours. The pile of stuff that I found was approx. 6 ft. from this tree. 1 survived without any injuries, but I keep her locked up with the chickens now.

I showed the first photo to our local Taxidermist, and he is confident that it's a black coyote. He says he gets a few each year from this area. Either way, I will update if anything new emerges.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the 2nd pic is a bobcat. I doubt the first one is a fisher - picture has too much motion blur to really be sure, but NC is about 800 miles outside of the fisher's known range.

The 2nd one could be anything from a pig to an otter to a dog. I'd guess its a dog.

Here are some pictures of Black Coyotes that I got off the internet. In comparing them, They do look similiar to my first pic. What do you guys think?

Wow...that does look a lot like the photo. Just never heard of them being around here, but I guess it's possible.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom