1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this predator? **** Coop Cam photo****

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StephensonC, Nov 13, 2014.

1. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    To me, it doesn't look like the critter in the first pic has a tail. If so, it rules out any kind of cat or canine. My first thought was a small bear. The light patch of fur on its butt is common to bears, as they often sit on their butts like we do. I've seen a lot of pigs, and it just doesn't look like a pig.

Bottom line.....regardless of what it is, you've got predator problems. All you can do it fortify your coop, and hope any of your birds who aren't inside at night can get up high.

I'd consider an electric fence if things get bad enough.

We've been lucky - we have lots of wolves, coyotes, skunks, and the odd bear, but we've never had any problems, aside from one skunk taking a few scratches at the ground around the girls' run at night, but he lost interest quickly.

2. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    My first thought was fisher cat too. That really doesn't look like a coyote to me. If you go to youtube and search for fisher cat you can get an idea of their range from other people's videos (which is further than what any wildlife agency claims). NC is way far south though, but you never know. Keep that trail cam going and see if you can get a better pic!

Mean little critters, so good luck trying to defend your livestock. I would be putting out live traps. Here's a video of a fisher rumbling with a fox!:

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My very first thought was fisher because I've seen so many photos and videos of them, but in NC??????? That's WAY far south! I'm right at the NC border and the last thing I need to think is here, other than what we already have, is a fisher! Ack!

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Keep us posted. I have no idea but would be interested to know.

If the Guineas were in a tree what could get to them? What could outrun them?

5. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I know that's what I wondered. But, I don't know if it happened at night while they were in a tree roosting or if it was early morning after sun up. I found the feathers and stuff around 10am. They did have a favorite cedar tree that they would hang out and dust bathe under during daylight hours. The pile of stuff that I found was approx. 6 ft. from this tree. 1 survived without any injuries, but I keep her locked up with the chickens now.

I showed the first photo to our local Taxidermist, and he is confident that it's a black coyote. He says he gets a few each year from this area. Either way, I will update if anything new emerges.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm pretty sure the 2nd pic is a bobcat. I doubt the first one is a fisher - picture has too much motion blur to really be sure, but NC is about 800 miles outside of the fisher's known range.

The 2nd one could be anything from a pig to an otter to a dog. I'd guess its a dog.

7. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Here are some pictures of Black Coyotes that I got off the internet. In comparing them, They do look similiar to my first pic. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say more likely a black coyote than a fisher in NC, though that photo did give me pause. Much rather a coyote than a fisher, if I had to choose a predator to be lurking.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Wow...that does look a lot like the photo. Just never heard of them being around here, but I guess it's possible. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by