What is this? Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rcentner, Jun 4, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    We have a lot of red tailed hawks around here, but I have never seen this bird before yesterday. These are the best pics I could get with my crappy camera. any ideas? I did just let the chickens out of the covered portion of thier runs yesterday, but only when I am here to monitor. I usually shoot 1st and ask questions later, but I am taking a new approach since my chickens are confined well these days. When my DH and I saw the bird yesterday we thought it was a small turkey at 1st. It just seems to walk around by the pond and occaisionally fly. Huge windgspan and would likely stand up to my knees (5'4" I am )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

To my uneducated eye, it looks like a Turkey Vulture. I think they're more into carrion.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That's interesting - it sure has a long tail...do turkey vultures have tails that long? And - I thought they were black, this is red. I dunno, but it's interesting! I'm glad your'e taking a new approach.....anxious to hear what this is!

4. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have seen turkey vultures and they usually have naked necks I thought.? This has a feathered neck, all 1 color (like a real dark brown-blackish). k, what's a carrion?

5. JasperCountyNative

JasperCountyNative Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yep, it's a Turkey Vulture.

Might want to think about federal/state laws before shooting raptors without a permit.

6. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I would say turkey vulture.

7. JasperCountyNative

JasperCountyNative Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Mississippi
    Quote:Carrion = dead animal carcasses, etc

8. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    (Buzzard)... they like to hang around ponds or any body of water lookin' for dead things... no worries! [​IMG]

9. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I'd have to agree with the above, vulture or buzzard.

10. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    that makes sense....my dog found a deer leg in the woods, brought it back to the house yesterday mornin. When I went to leave for work it was still in the yard and I was worried that it would attract some unwanted creatures like coyote or something. I threw it away last night. I bet it saw the leg or where my dog found that leg in the 1st place. thanks all!

so no worries for my chooks! yay, finally something that doesn't want to eat my chickens!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by