What is this? Update: Suspected cecal core excretion - coccidia

Shellyinphilly

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2018
I have a white Marans chick born on July 23rd, who became very sick on Thursday. She was listless, lethargic and completely puffed out. We called the only local avian vet but he’s on vacation so went with corid treatment and didn’t think she was going to make it given how I’ll she seemed. By Friday she had perked up a lot and was eating and drinking again. Improved further today but still watery poop. Well we got home after dinner tonight and found this in her cage. What on earth is it? We are complete newbies to chickens and google isn’t helping too much. Closest thing I can find is egg yolk peritonitis but I would think far too young for that. Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• 4C4DD266-B563-4726-B2CE-FC048A58D831.jpeg
    4C4DD266-B563-4726-B2CE-FC048A58D831.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 72
Welcome to BYC. Are you certain, this was from a one month old chick? It looks like a lash egg type material, but that is found in hens with salpingitis. I suppose it could be some sort of membrane covering poop.

Thank you!

As soon as she got sick we bought her a new crate and separated her from our two other chicks, so unless it got in the crate by itself it came from her. Honestly can't believe something so big came out of her. It's about 2.5" long. Very perplexed....

If you cut it in half and it kinda looks like cooked egg inside, then it’s lash egg. Good luck with your sweet girl! ❤️

It looks like cooked egg yolk inside. Could that even happen with a 5 week old? I thought they would need to be more like 20 weeks... Anyhow, I hope she is really on the mend. She is such a sweetheart!

It is a mystery, so I would just keep watching for any more unusual droppings. Hopefully, others with similar experiences will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom