What is this? Update: Suspected cecal core excretion - coccidia

Yes, thank you everyone! Appreciate it and you are all really nice to a newbie chicken mama. It makes sense google wasn't too helpful this time, as seems this one is not too common. Snowflake is really regaining her appetite and full of energy today. Almost back to normal, except she is a little skinny so we'll take it day by day and see how she comes along. We'll also have the vet back in a few more days.

Did she have bloody cecal poop when she was first sick? My little guy is five weeks old and keeps passing blood despite being on corid for two days. I'm wondering if the blood I'm seeing is just remnants of damage done and he continues to shed the contents. Very interesting pics.

@8kbakers
Are you direct dosing your sick bird with the concentrated drench dose rather than just relying on the chick drinking enough medicated water? Sometimes when they are sick with coccidiosis, they don't drink enough to ensure they get enough medication. If you have the liquid Corid, a couple of drops of the concentrate into the chicks beak twice a day for a couple of days is worth doing as well as providing the medicated water.

Did she have bloody cecal poop when she was first sick? My little guy is five weeks old and keeps passing blood despite being on corid for two days. I'm wondering if the blood I'm seeing is just remnants of damage done and he continues to shed the contents. Very interesting pics.
Hi, no nothing bloody. Just watery, or even what looked like water. It took her another week or so to start having normal poop again.

Since you treated your chick with corid and she recovered from most likely E. Tenella type coccidia, it is most likely the cecal core that detached itself and was excreted. Scroll down and see Figure 1 in this link along with other info about the cecal core.
https://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616
I agree, that's a cecal l core. Only ever seen this once in my flock, that was a peahen that was sick for weeks. Once she passed both codes she recovered.

Back
Top Bottom