What is this white stuff on my hen's face?

tomofhb

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013

This is Cutie, I think she is 2 years old. I adopted her from my local animal shelter a year ago. She has been a great hen that lays eggs regularly. She is a heavy breed, I think a Barnevelder, that eats all the time!!!

I've checked her for mites and lice and didn't find any. Every once and awhile I have to wash her back side, poop builds up there and sticks to her, it just looks gross.

We've had a cold front come through, I'm in Southern California, lows at night have been in the 40's. Can it be from the cold?

Anyone have any ideas?

It's hard to tell for sure, but it could possibly be dry skin flaking, or a fungal infection called favus. Favus usually will be on the comb, wattles, or earlobes. Favus is treated with antifungal creams such as miconazole (monistat 7,) lotrimin, and others. Dry skin could be easily treated with coconut oil. Make sure it's not lice eggs. Here are some pictures of severe favus infections:

21901_roosters_005.jpg

images
Favus.jpg

Last edited:
One of my girls had a touch of favus fungal infection but it was only behind her ears on both sides. I put some Lotrimin AF on it about two times and that cleared it right up. I'd try that and see if you notice any improvement.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom