What is this wierd thing sticking out her chest!?

caf.gif

its not her crop, I've checked that a few times to make sure. And shes not loosing weight so there must be food getting into her. I didnt end up doing it last night, a friend lf mine asked if I wanted to stop by today and we could do it together. He's done this kinda thing before so he thought I might like some help! I'm not sure what time yet, but I wont forget my camera to take some pics for you guys. Sometime tonight or tomorrow morning I should have some new, hopfully good news!

I have a question for Ruth, When you do surgery on a chicken like this don't they feel pain? I would think they do for with bumble foot they limp or don't use their foot at all. So how much pain are we inflicting on our chickens or ducks when we do stuff like this without pain meds.?I know this has to be done but can't stand the thought of hurting them

Quote:
Good question. I am interested in hearing an answer, too. I know -caine drugs will kill a chicken, and aspirin would make any type of surgery risky with the risk for increased bleeding. So what would you use for pain relief?

Quote:
Good question. I am interested in hearing an answer, too. I know -caine drugs will kill a chicken, and aspirin would make any type of surgery risky with the risk for increased bleeding. So what would you use for pain relief?

If you take a look at any of my pictures on any of my "surgery" threads, you'll see a chicken calmly laying on its side with its head and/or upper body covered in a towel. They don't squirm, they don't squawk - they don't seem to feel any pain. I don't even have anyone holding them when I operate or sew them up and they don't even move - if I didn't know better I would think they were dead. So, either they don't feel pain the way we do or they go into some sort of trance/sleep just as we would if administered anesthetic.

Back
Top Bottom