What is this?

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
This is one of the barred rock chicks I rescued. From my guess, she is about 2 weeks old. When I first got her a week ago I saw this while inspecting them. Left it alone because I wasnt sure if it was something with the umbilical. Its stil there. I'm. It sure if she was ket on pellets before I got her but that's what it looks like, a broken pellet piece. I've pushed it lightly but it doesnt come off and I'm scared to pull it off. Any ideas? Maybe wet it?

Attachments

• 20210207_141343.jpg
    20210207_141343.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210207_141354.jpg
    20210207_141354.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 21
What was the situation that led to week old chicks needing rescue?
A guy bought 40 of them at a day old and put them outside in a tractor with no supplimental heat (we get down to the teens at night) and was feeding them layer pellets. These were the last 4 left when he finally decided to ask for help. Once I told him everything he needed to fix he just told me to take them. I'm suprised theyve all made it this long with me. I didnt think they would make it.

A guy bought 40 of them at a day old and put them outside in a tractor with no supplimental heat (we get down to the teens at night) and was feeding them layer pellets. These were the last 4 left when he finally decided to ask for help. Once I told him everything he needed to fix he just told me to take them. I'm suprised theyve all made it this long with me. I didnt think they would make it.
Some people shouldn't ever have animals. What an idiot. I don't even want to know what he was thinking. Even the cheap instructions they give you at the feed store talk about temperature and feed.

Some people shouldn't ever have animals. What an idiot. I don't even want to know what he was thinking. Even the cheap instructions they give you at the feed store talk about temperature and feed.
He bought them from someone local but you're right. He should have done his research before getting them. It's so sad that so many died. They either starved or froze to death 😭

He also told me he didnt understand how these little birds were going to give him eggs in a few weeks. Uh, they're not.

looks like remnants of a yolk, I'd leave it be, it'll dry up and fall off on it's own if that's what it is. If it's a pellet, it'll come off when feathers come in. In both cases it's not hurting anything being left there.

looks like remnants of a yolk, I'd leave it be, it'll dry up and fall off on it's own if that's what it is. If it's a pellet, it'll come off when feathers come in. In both cases it's not hurting anything being left there.
I was thinking possibly remnants of yolk also but never had a chick with it so wanted to be sure it woudnt hurt her in some way. I'll leave it be. Shes growing great. Theyve seem to double in size this past week since I've had them.

Back
Top Bottom