What is this?

chrissilini

Chirping
Jan 11, 2020
New Hampshire
Hello. There is so much info online that it’s hard to sort out soon came to where I knew I’d get some helpful info. We have NH Reds, 7 hens and a rooster( he was unexpected!), lol. It’s are first time dealing with a rooster and all that entails. We’ve noticed on one hen in particular a possible skin issue but we’re aren’t sure. I don’t know if Hubbard is being rough with her, she’s struggling with a messed up molt( haven’t seen a molt like this is that is what it is), or parasite etc. one other hen has and area at the base of her butt similar but not as bad. What could it be? They are eating fine and even laying in the frigid temps we’ve had lately. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Attachment.jpeg
    Attachment.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Attachment.jpeg
    Attachment.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240124_094932.jpeg
    20240124_094932.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 32
I agree that it looks like feather picking. Sometimes the feathers won’t grow back until the next yearly molt. Corn really doesn’t help keep them warm in winter, so I would cut down on that treat since it takes away from her balanced chicken feed diet. A tsp per chicken every now and then would be plenty.

Took a closer look at her, under magnification, didn’t see any critters, assuming I’d see them if they were there. Took some more pics. Did notice her wings are beat up. And I’m a dummy, looking at her head there’s no way she could do it herself, 🙄. We’re gonna separate her and see if she heals up. Don’t know what else to do for her especially not knowing who the culprit is. Anything else I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 22
I would leave her with the hens and separate the rooster from the hens inside a dog crate with food and water. He probably is overmating her. The damage is on her neck and wings. Watch to see the hens are not pecking her. I have used BluKote spray on bare spots to discourage pecking. Pine tar or Nustock cream work work as well. How much room do they have? Are they getting outside to roam daily? You might want to increase their protein in their feed to 20%. A bit of scrambled egg divided can be good as well.

Back
Top Bottom