What is this ?

Javafan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
This morning I found something that looks like a grape on the floor of the coop. It is similar in size and is reddish brown. It has some kind of "navel" at one extremity. (see pics)

My hens have not laid eggs since the end of May. I have tried everything and have given up on them laying. This just weird. Should I be hopeful ?

Thanks

Thank you for responding, I am really puzzled about this. I have 2 Javas and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. What was left on the inside seemed watery.

I have only 1 Java and the Wyandotte now in the coop. The other Java is now in a dog crate as she is broody (the 5th time since January). Today I saw the Java still in the coop land an explosive, very watery "poop". I saw the same type yesterday and I know now it is coming from my Java. I don't know if it is related to the "thing".

Typing this, I am suddenly feeling very foolish. They have had grapes, but it was at least 7 - 10 days ago. Could one of them have eaten one whole and it took so long to come out the other end undigested?

The "thing" is now dried up and feels like a shell. A grape skin would shrivel, this just hardened.

It dried like an egg shell and didn't shrivel? I don't think it's remnants of a grape because like you said, they shrivel or at least curl.

The weird protruding thing is the confusing part - very odd looking little thing.
hu.gif

...looks kine of like a grape tomato that has had the 'innards' sucked out of it. o.o Did they eat grape tomatoes? It's not really round enough to be a cherry tomato, but grape tomato is possible if they ate them recently?

Last edited:
It dried like an egg shell and didn't shrivel? I don't think it's remnants of a grape because like you said, they shrivel or at least curl.

The weird protruding thing is the confusing part - very odd looking little thing.
hu.gif

...looks kine of like a grape tomato that has had the 'innards' sucked out of it. o.o Did they eat grape tomatoes? It's not really round enough to be a cherry tomato, but grape tomato is possible if they ate them recently?
NOT got any advice but how strange it is , im sure what ever it is it wouldnt come back out whole ???
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom