What is with texting????

I do not own a cell phone but not sure how to go about it.

As for hubby, he can use cell phones if we buy in what we need. Only for emergencies, thats all. Not the random idle talking! We are still in the air about getting cell phones. I have not found the perfect cell phone for me since I would love to text emergency or short messages but the prices of carriers are so expensive. I am deaf while hubby is hearing so I woudl have to use relay if he decided to get the talking only or use both text and calls. I would like to use my laptop as my "cell phone" at home in case something happens at school that I need to pick her up. Maybe WalMart have something that both of us can use and good for traveling. However I do NOT like those tiny buttons....it would be all over the place and jumbled words. I'd rather get one with a keyboard big enough that can take my big thumbs.

We do not like to use any communications except for our CD player in our van...we have seen too many people got bluetooths up their rears and nearly ran us over a few times when walking down the sidewalk!
smack.gif
rant.gif

Thank you to the OP. It's just driving me freakin nuts! You don't even exist when it comes to a young person!
he.gif
Now I see why
the younger generation doesn't have a clue about what's going on in the real world. Most of the young people I know send about 4 - 5000 texts a month! And they pay $150.00 a month for the stupid idiotic thing! I pay $15.00 a month. Sorry, but that's just being gullilble...
barnie.gif

I fear the breakdown of human communication. Kids in the same room text each other. Don't look up and say "Hey,...............".

I was just comtemplating the cell phone issue yesterday. I thought to myself, "Self, we're gonna drop the cell phone and get a landline with an answering machine!" at which point Self took me by the shoulders and slapped me a few times screaming "my god woman what are you thinking!? you work 45 miles from home, in MINNESOTA, not known for friendly winters, and the roads home arent heavily travelled. Your kids go to school 25 miles from work, so you really want to be on the road and have NO WAY for the school to reach you in an emergency!? And lets not even START with hunting season, how else are you going to summon DH from miles away to come gut the animal you just bagged if you dont have a cell phone!?!? Tell me, have you lost your mind!?!" and then I decided that I would keep my cell phone, and my texting package.

Quote:
Yeah I can relate to that...my two nephews in different rooms, texting each other.
roll.png

LOL

My mom is glad she doesn't have to yell looking for us anymore. She just calls us in the house. Gone are the days were I was in my room downstairs, and I'd be too lazy to go to my brothers room upstairs, so I'd yell up 2 flights of stairs towards the general direction of his room. LOL Our house is old enough to have an intercom system, but it never worked b/c we shut our speakers off in our rooms.

Quote:
Yeah I can relate to that...my two nephews in different rooms, texting each other.
roll.png

Actually just read an article on that. Kids won't end an argument in person because that's "too awkward", so they text it out. More feelings get hurt that way, though.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yeah but, when I was a young adult it was much easier to flirt with the cute guy 3 seats away without the teasing of everyone else if you could just text. AND it easier to carry on a conversation when trapped in a mind-melting meeting if you have a text package. DH is busy loading semi's all day. If i think of something I need to ask or tell him I have to text it, because he cant just answer the phone when he's on his forklift, that way I know I didnt forget to ask, and I know that when he has time he will answer.

I don't have to track back and forth from the far fenceline to plug in and unplug the electric tape, get more materials, or ask how we want to redo something. I just call my mom or husband who are on the other side and tell them to do it. We even sold our 4wheeler.
tongue.png
Occasionally I can't find if my mom is home since the house is huge being setup for my grandparents to have their own living space and my mom's business in the home. I just stop in the middle of the house and call rather than running around yelling and asking people if they've seen her. Then I risk running in to my stepdad... A school counselor once threatened my mom that they'd turn him in for verbal abuse if she didn't do something about it. Even if I asked him outright where she was he'd just ignore me and go back to what he was doing since he's not allowed to start yelling at me over it.

My family is unreachable without a cell phone. Most of us no longer have house phones because we were never there to answer it anyway. I spent many many hours waiting at school for my mom or I'd start walking and somewhere around 5-10miles later someone would give me a ride. My sister never had to deal with that because she got a cell phone before she graduated.

Most people these days can multitask very very well. I can sit in 3 chat rooms at the same time, read a forum, and hold a conversation with my husband. It's quite common when we are hanging out with people for someone to be texting and holding a conversation or texting, playing a game, and communicating about it. Just because you are looking at a keyboard or phone it doesn't mean you are ignoring the other person. We can do both. I'm sure some people have a problem with that but those that grew up with it find it normal.

People just need to learn when it isn't acceptable and teenagers have always had to go through a lot before they learn what is and isn't acceptable and when. I don't see that anything has changed there.

As with any tool, cell phones have their uses, both for spoken communication and written (texted) communication. Either can be used in a productive way. We have two properties and choose not to have landlines in either. Instead, we have cell phones for each family member. This costs us less than maintaining landlines at both homes. (Both homes are in constant use and our jobs require us to be accessible by phone.) Because of our cell phone plans, we are also able to make our calls to distant family -- even those living outside the fifty states -- with no additional costs or long distance charges.

As for text messaging, this feature is very useful for us. Our schedules are very different. However, we have them arranged so that as much as possible, two household members can carpool. This saves a lot of money on taxis and bus fares, or the purchase of and insurance for an additional vehicle. Texting allows us to quickly and easily inform each other of schedule changes, meeting location changes, etc. It really simplifies our life greatly.

It's just another way we keep in touch with each other.

Back
Top Bottom