What is wrong with her leg (1.5 wk old chick, PICTURES)

TNplus4

Hatching
8 Years
May 2, 2011
This is our first time having pollutes, we have 4 RIR and 4 Americana. We got them from our local chick hatchery, the guy called us on a Wed. evening and we picked them up the next day...so 2 days old when we got them? They were a surprise for our boys for Easter so we had to keep them at my husbands parents house until that Saturday evening (luckily my mil grew up raising chicks and chickens!). I noticed when we picked up the chicks on Saturday that one of the Am. had a bad leg, not ever having chicks before I thought it was broken. It didn't bother her and she just would hop around on the other leg. Her name is Skipper:) I was looking online at what I could do to help her and came across spraddle leg and thought that must be it so I tapped her up and kept it on for 3 days and it didn't seem to help, she would lay down with it under her but she never would use it. I took the take off today and it is almost worse. Then I started searching more and found slipped tendon? Or a femur problem?
Here are some pictures of her today, what do you think is wrong with her leg? Can I help her out? She is a sweet chick and is growing and getting along great, I just wish there was something I could do for her leg. It was hard to get a good picture of it, but basically it sticks our sideways from the "knee" and the foot is pointed back. So it is twisted and backwards, I guess.

I am new so I can't post pictures:(
I put them in a public album, hope this works:
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/nichollek/Skipper/

Last edited:
I wish i could help you, but from looking at the pictures I am wondering if it's a birth defect? not sure if theres anything you can do, but will help you get to the top again just in case someone might have a suggestion. All the best.
welcome-byc.gif

Just want to bump this up to see if anyone has any ideas what is up with her leg. I am thinking either slipped tendon or twisted femur, but I can't seem to find a good picture or example to help me in which condition it might be. The more I am reading on both conditions, the more it seems most say to cull:( As she gets older she will be to heavy for her one leg to support her body? Will be in pain and have a low quality of life? I really don't want to cull her, I know I won't be culling her...if it has to be done that will have to be the hubby's task.

I agree with Miss Lydia, probably something happened while incubating or the hatch. This chick will eventually be picked on, bottom of the pecking order... survival of the fittest. It will be unable to roost and scratch around, it will suffer worse in the long run. I'm sorry to say that I recommend that the chick be culled. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom