What is wrong with my chicken?

Kawa99

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Hello everyone

I live in a relatively hot place in the Middle East. I have a few beautiful Brahma chickens as the weather has become hotter they have started opening their beaks wide to breath. They only do it in the day. We have minor dust storms at times should I be concerned? Last night one of them died. She didn’t look sick and didn’t have any symptoms of anything besides breathing with their beaks open.

Here’s a video of one of the chickens, she’s laying eggs that maybe why she’s doing it but they do it even when they’re not laying eggs:

Sounds as if they are overheated. High temperatures are rough on big bodied birds like Brahmas.
I have a couple of Brahma's, one of them is doing great and the other one not so much. I have to keep my Brahma in my cool studio in a dog crate during the day. I take her to the coop a few times so she can do her business because she won't go in the crate, she's doing really well gained her strength back. It is a 110 today. I'm using a mister on the other chickens which is helping.

Chickens don't sweat they pant like dogs when hot. Open mouth and often they will hold their wings out to let as much air as they can get around their body to cool them down.

If you can put a small quiet fan where they can stand in the breeze. Might need more than one. Ice blocks put in the run and giving them frozen fruit also helps.

Back
Top Bottom