What is wrong with this bird's comb?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
The comb has several black spots appearing. It's a 7 month old Australorp. The spots I'm concerned about are circled
PXL_20231030_213348998~2.jpg

Looks like pecking wounds or mosquito bites.

Keep an eye on her comb as it heals. Also look for changes especially to her eyes, nostrils and breathing. And watch for her general behaviour, that she is eating, drinking, preening and moving around as usual.

Looks like pecking wounds or mosquito bites.

Keep an eye on her comb as it heals. Also look for changes especially to her eyes, nostrils and breathing. And watch for her general behaviour, that she is eating, drinking, preening and moving around as usual.
She's been sitting by herself most of today. She seems like she's breathing ok. But has been keeping to herself. She ate worms from my hand, but won't play with her favorite treat ball
PXL_20231030_215011554.jpg

Oh poor lady. Is she eating and drinking? Pooping? Make sure you check her crop first thing in the morning.

I wonder if she got pecked by someone else because she’s not feeling well.

Does she lay eggs? Could she be moulting? It looks like there are some feathers around her in the picture. They can go off their food and regular activities when they are moulting sometimes. I’d do a check over for mites and lice around her vent, abdomen, under wings and back of neck.

Oh poor lady. Is she eating and drinking? Pooping? Make sure you check her crop first thing in the morning.

I wonder if she got pecked by someone else because she’s not feeling well.

Does she lay eggs? Could she be moulting? It looks like there are some feathers around her in the picture. They can go off their food and regular activities when they are moulting sometimes. I’d do a check over for mites and lice around her vent, abdomen, under wings and back of neck.
She has not started laying eggs yet, neither has her sister. They were born on March 30th. We have 34 and all the others seem ok. We will check for red mites in the coop and check her for parasites

She has not started laying eggs yet, neither has her sister. They were born on March 30th. We have 34 and all the others seem ok. We will check for red mites in the coop and check her for parasites

Her comb and wattles look pretty lush and red. Sometimes when they first lay they can have a bit of trouble with soft shelled eggs etc.

We are still up in the air on the sex of this chicken. Im leaning male. David thinks pullet. It has never crowed. It does not try to mount the females. It makes hen sounds. And has a lot of hen behavior. It does not look like the Australorp males we had to rehome from the same flock. Sometimes, it is even pushed around by some of the baby chickens. That's why I didn't specify a sex when I made the post.

However, it is still not feeling well, is keeping to itself, and not acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom