What is wrong with this chick? Looks like tumor? (Pictures , graphic)

MrsChickenTender

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
My hen hatched one of her eggs last night at some point because I came out to this poor baby ... it is alive, trying to walk but just lays , wings sprawled out , barely able to cheep... also, I NEVER hold chicks like this but didn't want to touch the bloody part while handling all the other chicks just in case..... what is this? Will she survive? What would cause it?

Attachments

• 20220711_085003.jpg
    20220711_085003.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220711_085003.jpg
    20220711_085003.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 9
I would cull it, it's probably in a lot of pain. :(
I think it's a prolapse, it's hard to tell from pictures though.

I would cull it, it's probably in a lot of pain. :(
I think it's a prolapse, it's hard to tell from pictures though.
Oh no 😫 how would you reccomend i do that fastest and painless way... i dont wanna see it after either 💔 ive never had to do that yet after a year and half with the chickies ... only have had one die ! My husband's gonna home to me a wreck over the chickens again 🥺

To be honest, this chick hatched with her wing feathers already developed quite a bit vs. Her 2 day old sibling..... maybe she cooked a bit too long in there ? Is my hen just a bad mom? I had to rescue one of her babies last night from a black abyss in a set of tires and rims in my barn ... was an hour long mission moving them gently because she probably left her baby for a bit to go run around my yard yelling ( a daily ritual for her, gets all the other chickens going too) and the baby panicked looking for her. Got lost in them , full of cobwebs, and I finally recovered the chick unharmed and mom was snoozing away in her nest but wanted to act like I was the one who did it when I put it back in the nest with her 🤦‍♀️

I don't think the mother hen did it. Usually when chickens attack chicks they peck out eyes, eardrums, or scalp them. I haven't seen a chicken peck out the rear end.
I hold the chick over the trash can by the body in my left hand and use sharp scissors in my right hand. You need to do it with some force, like you are cutting through cardboard.
At first, I had a hard time doing it too and I would put a little napkin over its head.

Unfortunately, I have had a lot of chicks and have had to do more culling for various reasons and I no longer bother covering the head.

I don't think the mother hen did it. Usually when chickens attack chicks they peck out eyes, eardrums, or scalp them. I haven't seen a chicken peck out the rear end.
I hold the chick over the trash can by the body in my left hand and use sharp scissors in my right hand. You need to do it with some force, like you are cutting through cardboard.
At first, I had a hard time doing it too and I would put a little napkin over its head.

Unfortunately, I have had a lot of chicks and have had to do more culling for various reasons and I no longer bother covering the head.
Thankyou! I will probably do that, or just have the husband do it when he gets home 😫 poor baby!

Back
Top Bottom