What is wrong with this chicken?

MelissaBA

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
0.jpg

She does it a lot...everyday and has been for over a week, I thought it was worms and treated her for that, but didn't help. Now I have another one doing the same thing but not quite as bad.

She does it a lot...everyday and has been for over a week, I thought it was worms and treated her for that, but didn't help. Now I have another one doing the same thing but not quite as bad.
Is she having any other symptoms? Such as sinus drainage, swelling of the eyes or face, wheezing?

Last edited:
What do you use to treat for worms? Were you thinking it was gapeworm? A chicken with gapeworm usually cannot eat or drinknfrom gaping. His left eye looks a little swollen in the video, but I can't be sure. It looks like a possible respiratory disease, and many of them look similar to each other. He looks like he is gaping some. ILT can look a bit like that, and can have bloody mucus from the beak. MG or mycoplasma can cause swelling of the face or eye from sinus swelling. Tylan 50 injectable would be good to use if it is MG. ILT is a virus that has to run it's course. Infectious bronchitis can cause loud chirping which could be what he is doing. Here is a link for you to read about the respiratory diseases, most of which can make carriers of your flock: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She has no swelling anywhere, no drainage anywhere, just making this noise. She eats and drinks good, she has quit laying but don't know if that is weather related or related to this issue. I gave her wazime for worms and have been putting diatomaceous earth in their feed every once in a while. Like I said I have another one making the same noise but not as bad as her. Should I separate the two and treat them with the Tylan?

If it were me I would want to get one tested to find out what is was for sure. To do that you would need to contact your state vet here: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

The Tylan would treat symptoms if it was MG, but if it is a virus such as IB or ILT, then the antibiotic would help to prevent secondary diseases. The virus would then have to run it's course, but hopefully without complications. I noticed in your last thread that you had treated a few chickens with swollen eyes. The wazine for worms will only treat roundworms, so I would get some Valbazen online or in your farmstore to use in case of more serious worms such as gapeworm, cecal worms, or capillary worms. Dosage is 1/2-1 ml given orally to each chickens, then repeated in 10 days for the worm eggs that hatch.

I have some Buffs that I keep separate from these birds that are younger and had a couple of them have eye issues and the Tylan cleared that up. These birds don't have any contact with each other so I am thinking these are two totally different things going on. I will get some of the Valbazen. So are you saying try the Valbazen first?

Back
Top Bottom