What is your favorite breed of quiet calm hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jupitergirl, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jupitergirl

jupitergirl In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    looking to add new hens and am tired of flighty type birds. Was thinking Buff orpingtons maybe. thoughts?

2. frankenchick

frankenchick Songster

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Buff O's are my favorite "quiet" chicken. I only have hens, but they are lovely.

3. jupitergirl

jupitergirl In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!! that is the direction I am leaning.

4. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree! I loved my BO's. Sweetest, most laid back chickens I had. My dark cornish is pretty laid back, too, but I assume you are looking for a nice big egg layer. [​IMG]

Shelly

5. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    My Barred Rock girls are very quiet and very sweet, not too shy and laways looking for a shoulder to perch on or a handout. Alot more "outgoing" with us humans than the rest of my birds - with the exception of my silkies. Can't beat a silkie for being docile IMO. [​IMG]

6. renemarie

renemarie In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Central North Dakota
    I love RIR's!! They are lap babies and so friendly with the dogs and the other chickens. The kids don't even ruffle their feathers!!!

7. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Songster

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
    My SLW is pretty quiet all the time and likes to roost on me, although she is slightly more skittish than my Golden Buff. Dunch (the Golden Buff) can be noisy when she wants to be put in the travel cage but it is not too bad and not all the time. She's friendly and inquisitive, both will eat out of people's hands.

8. clemson11

clemson11 In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    Barred rocks for sure are the best!!

9. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My Sebrights as long as you handle them more than once or twice a week. Mine love to be petted and sit on my shoulders.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It depends upon the invidivual bird. For every person who has a quiet buff there will be one who has a loud one. Our buff is pretty quiet (until you pick her up, then she honks) but my friend's cackles up a storm when she lays.

Our BSL is quiet until the RIR - and only the RIR - lays an egg.

The Australorp chatters constantly and never shuts up.

The barred rock we used to have honked all the time and did the egg song for anyone & everyone.

... ad infinitum...

You might get quiet BOs and you might get noisy ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: