What is your "favorite" large breed of dairy goat?

Which breed?

• Alpine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LaMancha

• Nubian

• Oberhasli

• Saanen

• Toggenburg

• Total voters

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
We went to the NC State Fair yesterday and I really lit the fire under my husband when we walked through the dairy goat barn. We met a nice lady who was milking a LaMancha doe and my husband really has an interest in getting a couple of dairy goats... he even said, "Let's sell your Boers and get milk goats." Umm, not ready for that quite yet, but we need your input on which breed you favor. I never would have thought he would have liked the looks of the LaManchas since they don't have ears, but he says they have a humble face.

We are having to buy our goat's milk to make our soaps. We already have the set up for goats, so why not get our own dairy goat?
smile.png

1. Alpine
2. LaMancha
3. Nubian
4. Oberhasli
5. Saanen
6. Toggenburg

Info that may be helpful:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/breeds.htm
http://www.adga.org/breedstandards.html

Last edited:
i want nubians and lamancahs...

for every drama queen nubian there are sweet wonderfull ones out there
smile.png
i find them quite endearing...
they also have a high butterfat, very creamy soaps!

and lamanachas are just sweethearts, the ears freeked me out at first...but once you get used to it it kind of shows of their big beautiful eyes and their personalities more than make up for the lack of ears, there also a nice middle ground in terms of butterfat im told...

the alpine breeds though are the heaviest milkers...though ive found toggs and alpines to be stubborn and a little tempermental.
obers are supposed to be very sweet but ive never personally known any so cant realy comment.

a nice thing about the nubians too, if you breed your boers for meat...breeding a boer to a nubian doe will give you nice meaty kids!

Last edited:
After taking about it for the past 3 days, we have decided to take the plunge and sell all of our Boers and get 2-3 milk does (or kids). He wants LaManchas, which are fine with me. The loud-mouth Nubians wouldn't be an issue for me since Boers are vocal also, but we have "city folk" neighbors. They appreciate looking at our animals, but I don't know how roosters AND loud goats would work out. It's pretty much a toss-up as to whether we'll get LaManchas or Nubians (or some of each)... depending mainly on what we can find that are in our price range and criteria (registered, CL-free, etc etc). Toggs are running a close third. Thanks everybody for your imput!

I love LaManchas. They are by far my favorite. I don't have any goats right now but when we have them again in the future, I will be getting LaManchas.

Back
Top Bottom