What is Your Favorite Word to Describe Your Flock?

Pics
I hatched 6 chicks in April. I am a first time chicken mom. A very mixed group of donated eggs. They spent their first 6 weeks in my sewing room, and after I caught one of the roos eating a piece of ribbon he somehow found, they all got 'sewing' names. The 3 roos are Ribbon, Bobbin and Zipper; the girls are Lace, Button, and Scissors. They all seem to know their names and come to them or chickie babies. I also refer to them, and the cats, as 'people' quite often! Usually it's, Would you people please get out of the way! They don't......

I call them lil' freaks and my babies. Lil' freaks cause they will eat anything and can find me anywhere even if I don't call them, they see me or hear me walking. I am chased down the driveway and they are very fast. They also walk between my feet like cats and stand on my feet :love
Aww wish mine did that!

I only have 5 chickens. For me, that’s the perfect amount ! They all have names

Ruby (Rube Rubes/big fatty/wuby/) mainly Rube Rubes.

Betty (Betty Bets/pretty Betty/Betty girl) mainly just Betty.

Katy (Katy Bird/Katy girl/Katy Kates) mainly Katy Bird.

Abby (Abby Abs) she’s still a pullet so she hasn’t become affectionate yet, so she only has one nickname so far. Mainly just Abby

Daisy (Daisy Daisy/little miss Daisy/Daisy Sweetie/flower chick) she’s the same as Abby only she hates humans even more than Abby, but because she is SO full of personality, she’s gotten more nicknames. Mainly Little miss daisy.

Ruby and Betty are Rhode Island Reds and Katy and Abby are Barred Rocks and Daisy is a leghorn.
They also all have middle names that I use when I post about them on BYC. I usually like to keep their real names private.

Ruby Rebecca Sweetie Bird
Betty Susannah Sweetie Bird
Katy Samantha Sweetie Bird
Abby Maddie Little Sweetie Bird
Daisy Patty Little Sweetie Bird

The “flock name” is Sweetie Bird. The babies and pullets are Little Sweetie Birds. I always refer to them as the sweetie birds. We call Ruby the big fatty because she is really big. I always tell her that it’s flattering to be fat when your a chicken. When one is being mean I call them “you big meanie!”.
I talk to them like humans. I tell them stories about things our past chickens have had done. Sometimes I try to make out words in their squawks... yeah. I really am that crazy chicken girl.
Wow that was a lot!

My 2 are "cold blooded", I am completely convinced that they would eat me if i was smaller than them. They look at me with one cold blooded eye, they are thinking of a way to kill me. I spoil them to, they give me 2 eggs a day.

I feel like this when I get home.

View attachment 1878158

Here is Moniques death stare

View attachment 1878165

This is her standing on the back of my chair looking for the best way to end me.:fl
View attachment 1878166
Oh my goodness! That second Picture had me rolling on the ground!!! :lau

They're all addressed by name.
At bedtime,it's like the Waltons.,saying good night to each.talking through the prison like triple wired and screened windows.the three small coops are key locked,so I say my final goodnight from outside,quietly,loud enough over they're 2 air conditioners.
"Good night art art night,lil'tail. Good night big chickie,good night nervous chickie,good night good chickie, ,good night big red. Sleep good,ill check on you later."which I do.
Good night Henry penny,good night peepers.",be a good chickie now".

Sometimes I say good night to theyre 2 friends that have Sadley passed,resting nearby.

They're all addressed by name.
At bedtime,it's like the Waltons.,saying good night to each.talking through the prison like triple wired and screened windows.the three small coops are key locked,so I say my final goodnight from outside,quietly,loud enough over they're 2 air conditioners.
"Good night art art night,lil'tail. Good night big chickie,good night nervous chickie,good night good chickie, ,good night big red. Sleep good,ill check on you later."which I do.
Good night Henry penny,good night peepers.",be a good chickie now".

Sometimes I say good night to theyre 2 friends that have Sadley passed,resting nearby.
That is truly the sweetest thing. I’m so sorry about your “other chickens”. We just recently lost a momma hen to a bobcat.

If I'm being silly, I'll whisper, "the cheeeeek-ins," in a sinister cartoon voice. In addition to my roos, my flock consists of all the other birds I have, including parrots, canaries, budgies, etc. Sometimes I call them "the boids," or "the bird bodies." I probably have a hundred nicknames for all my pets, but my grey parrot is "chunky chicken," my green parrot is "wiener," and the budgies are "dumb budgies!"

Back
Top Bottom