What items are must haves or a waste of money when buying for a new baby?

My youngest baby just turned 19

But, unless your baby is small or a premie, those tiny tiny NB diapers are for decoration. If you do have a tiny or premie baby, know where you can find the tinier diapers, just don't purchase. My youngest was 5 15 and wore those NB ones folded down for a few weeks (he was failure to thrive) The other boys wore the bigger newborns for a week or two max.

Those draw string/elastic bottom gowns, on the 2 bigger boys they hated them! For the youngest, they were wonderful because I could wrap him in them.

Oneses were the best, my bigger babies stayed warm well and often would be in those only. The youngest could not keep warm and we had a collection of the long leg/sleeve versions that he wore under everything til he was probably 2+

Big quilts, foo foo blankets, diaper bags that scream baby, diaper stackers, cheap teethers, and expensive infant "educational" toys, cute tiny outfits not made out of knit materials, and $$ oshkosh outfits those were things to skip (look for oshkosh at yardsales and thriftstores-they last well-oneses are cheap and stain, those are fun to buy new)

When I had my eldest daughter, nearly 40 years ago, I was given a booklet at the hospital, when attending ante natal appointments. Here is the list of essentials, I think you will find it interesting:

1 dozen terry towelling nappies (diapers)
1 dozen muslin nappies to be used as liners, and for mopping up sick
3 long sleeved night gowns (boy or girl)
3 all in one suits (babygros)
3 vests
4 nappy pins
3 bibs
2 cardigans (only for a winter baby!)
2 pairs of bootees or socks
2 pairs of anti scratch mittens
3 cotton sheets
2 woolen blankets

A pram (basinet or stroller) is useful but not essential
A cot or crib is not essential as baby can happily sleep in a lined drawer (do not leave it in the chest of drawers, for safety sake)
A car seat will be useful if you should use a car occasionally
A baby bath is not necessary, baby can be happily bathed in a washing up bowl!

We knew how to raise a cheap baby in those days!
Haha, wow, isn't that the truth, and did that ever bring back some memories of when my eldest child was born 30+ years ago. Still pretty much holds true today. A lined dresser drawer on a handmade wood table right beside the bed is where baby #1 slept (even though we had a new crib), and baths were given in a towel lined sink.

My must haves were...

Diaper bag.
A swing was nice to rest my arms occasionally.
Lots of cloth diapers, pins, and washcloths.
No bottles but lots of nursing pads.
Nail clippers & other sundries/medicine chest items.
Socks, for feet & hands
big_smile.png
Beanies, onesies, tanks & feeted jammies.
Blankets.
Crib sheets for after they started sleeping in cribs.
Baby sling.
Car seat.

Front carrier when mine was really small. Back Pack carrier as he got bigger. He hated the stroller because he couldn't look at everything sitting that low.

I did not use a boppy(too expensive). I just used a regular bed pillow.

Register on Huggies or Pampers websites. They will constantly send you coupons. My son is almost 12 and I am still getting them.

In all honesty, if you think your friends and family will be holding a baby shower, don't buy any clothes until after that. That is by far the most popular gift.

No one mentioned Gas drops???? Good grief. GAS DROPS!!!! Buy yourself 2 packs of newborn diapers and tell everyone else to buy you the next two sizes up. Babies are out of the NB ones FAST.

A booger sucker. MUST have a booger sucker.

A back pack instead of a diaper bag. You can have the baby on the front and the bag on your back and be hands free.

Buy a travel system instead of a separate car seat and stroller. It winds up being cheaper and the car seat snaps right into the stroller.

X2 on all of this!

Costco for diapers and wipes. They last FOREVER.

Bouncer. I cannot get Cash or Kenny to calm down any other way.

<--------------- proud grandmother of three new babies.

smile.png
I really appreciate all the replies with the helpful information.

My sister used the diaper genie and she hated it. She stuck everything she could under the lid to try to get rid of the smell. Are there any diaper pails worth using?

After looking around at online stores I decided that I will try to get the main items (car seat, stroller, swing, high chair, etc.) in unisex colors. I may try for a second child after the first is at least 2 especially if I get a girl first since I would like to have a boy. No use wasting money all over again for the most expensive items.

If I do buy a swing I will get a portable one since my husband's family on both sides like to get together for the holidays. I've seen them use the portable swings with their kids when they got tired and that worked wonders for them. Will come in handy for when the grandparents have to baby sit if the baby likes the swing.

I did see on JCPennys a Graco Blossom high chair that was a 4-in-1. It could be converted from a high chair to a infant booster to toddler booster and to a youth chair. It was around $180 for it. Would something like that be worth getting or a waste of money? I do like items that convert for multiple uses.

Thanks for the coupon ideas. I'll definitely do that.

Since I want to breast feed and I know it always doesn't work for everyone is it still possible to use a breast pump to bottle feed? I'm always coming across pro and con breast feeding articles but never really read anything about women bottle feeding but using pumped milk. Are the pumps just painful to use or another reason why I don't hear of women pumping milk to often? If pumps are worth using which type should I buy as a back up plan?

I definitely know that if I do have a baby shower it better be for a boy or I'm telling everyone to buy unisex items. I went to a few and the one that was on his moms side of the family (they like to shop) was big and everyone bought pink items. I don't think I've ever seen so much pink in different varieties before. I'm not a big fan of pink. I prefer yellow which reminds me of cute little chicks and ducklings. I'll try to tell them to buy bigger sizes for clothing or have the bigger sizes selected on the store registries.

My niece was a small baby and my sister didn't want to mess with buying much premie clothing so her hospital picture she had large baggy clothing on. She grew into the clothing and then we couldn't keep up with trying to put everything on her that was bought.

You absolutely can use a breast pump for bottle feedings. The pumps are not painful. I highly suggest getting an electric pump if that is the way you are leaning. The manual pumps usually are time consuming to use. My son never took a bottle. He nursed until 11 months and then decided he was done.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but you can buy a lot of crib/changing table sets that convert to beds and dressers as the child gets older. My cousin got a crib that can turn into a toddler bed, and then into a full size bed. The changing table is able to be converted into a 4 drawer dresser along with shelves where you would have put a diaper genie. Definitely check them out, because they could save you a ton of money in the long run.

I know the boppy seems expensive. See if you can find one used. What I did is bought my pillow used and then just bought a replacement cover. I think the cover was 16 and I bought the pillow from someone on craigslist I think for about $5. We used it for more than breast feeding too. When still small I would lay them on their back but propped up by the boppy with it curled around them. Also for tummy time. Mine had issues being flat on their bellies. Got sick every time, just too much pressure. So we used the boppy to prop them up when doing tummy time. When they are first learning to sit I put it around them. It helps with the whole round butt issue. It helps keep them steady. In a pinch they are good to elevate the mattress if they have reflux or a bad cold.

So much can be gotten used. Honestly babies barely use some items and they are fairly new when you get them. We bought a bay backpack for $25. The people before us bought it new and only used it a few times. It made it through 3 of our kids and is still in use for our last one. My almost here twin nephews will be inheriting this one.

You absolutely can use a breast pump for bottle feedings. The pumps are not painful. I highly suggest getting an electric pump if that is the way you are leaning. The manual pumps usually are time consuming to use. My son never took a bottle. He nursed until 11 months and then decided he was done.

I want to just breast feed but incase of problems with the baby not latching and not having any luck I would rather switch to the pump instead of formula. That way it is healthy and can save some money instead of buying the cans. Also if I'm using breast milk it is more likely to keep me eating healthy and away from soda. I love junk food but am going to switch to healthy food before becoming pregnant and so I'm not feeding my baby junk. I never have smoked or done any other drugs, I hate alcoholic drinks, and I'm going to be a stay at home mom so I don't see any reason not to be breast feeding.

Would a boppy pillow be hard to make? I'm not going at sewing but my FIL has an Amish family working for him and the wife knows how to sew. I might be able to have her make me one even though it would cost about the same probably as the store but they could use the money. She just had their first daughter in November.

I definitely want a crib that can be converted. I haven't looked to much into the changing tables since I could always just use the crib like I had to for my niece.

My mom lives in an area that have better yard sales than we have since we live in an area with a ton of Amish and every town is 15-30 minutes from here. She also has a goodwill around her and she could do some used clothing shopping for me and ship it up. I definitely been looking at the ebay clothing lots to check out the prices. I've seen so many Carter's duckling print lots that I want so badly but been holding off.

I want to just breast feed but incase of problems with the baby not latching and not having any luck...
It's not unusual to have a few insignificant (ok, maybe a few significant
big_smile.png
) bumps in the roads when first learning how to nurse the baby and while the baby learns how to nurse...there's that new-experience learning curve for both
smile.png
...but it's actually extremely rare for a women not to produce enough milk or not be able to nurse her baby when she's been properly informed and instructed.

The La Leche League is a wealth of phone/in person/written support and info for expecting/new moms, and there's also lactation consultants that will observe and hands-on instruct/correct technique if there's any issues so that nursing will be successful. Making sure the baby does not receive a bottle of anything, whether out of sight or in sight, by well-meaning help in the hospital (if you plan on having a hospital birth), nor any bottle until they are well established nursers can be key to avoiding nursing issues.

One other baby item that I didn't mention previously is a light, portable playpen...I found it very handy for baby naps and such when visiting other homes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom