What items are must haves or a waste of money when buying for a new baby?

yeah, Armywifeandmama, thanks for the explanation about cleaning cloth diapers, I also appreciated that, I'm redoing my bathroom right now so I'm actually ordering the hand held shower head right off! good timing for this thread. I explained the diaper thing and the shower to my husband and he seems to be fine with it, so we'll be giving it a try for sure. Its kinda exciting breaking free from the norm in another way. thanks!

I've only skimmed a few replies. I have 4 kids. What *I* personally couldn't live without if I had another:

1. cloth diapers (Bumgenius were my favorite with #4, weren't around with the others, but I got by with prefolds, Snappis, and Bummis diaper wraps just fine with my first!) and cloth wipes. I used plain water and kept a bar of mild soap at the changing table for poopies

2. diaper sprayer hooked up to the toilet (only had that w/ #4, too, wish I'd had it for all of them!!!)

3. a good ring sling. I personally don't like pouches and wraps can be hard to get the hang of, hard to bf with an Ergo type carrier. Ergos are great for older heavier babies. Can't beat a ring sling for quick and easy, though!

4. a good carseat, duh. Some people skip the carrier kind, but they're really handy for not waking up a sleeping baby!

5. a good breastpump. I do think there are some good manual ones. I had an Avent Isis with my oldest (almost 13 years ago!) not sure if they still make those, but Avent is a good brand. Don't buy a pump made by Evenflo, Gerber, etc. They're all crap and will hurt. Get an Avent or Medela. Breastfed babies can also be picky about bottle nipples. I had 2 babies that could care less what you stuck in their mouth, and 2 who wanted nothing but the real thing. In a pinch they would take the Playtex bottle nipples that are supposed to be closed to the real thing. They were called different things with my different kids, but they were basically the same, they just kept trying make them seem "New and Improved!" They're clear silicone, very round and squishy. You might need to try like 15 different bottles/nipples on your baby, or your baby may not care. A note about pumping and feeding all the time--most women will lose their supply doing this., Not all, but most. The baby is MUCH better at getting the milk out, and therefore keeping your supply going. Breastfeeding is the best way to make sure the baby is getting enough, pumping doesn't always, or even usually, work out well full-time. Working moms can usually do it (I did it twice!) b/c the baby still breastfeeds when mom is home, keeping that supply going!

6. Breast pads so you don't have wet spots on your shirt! I liked cloth ones, some people don't. Again, get good ones, like Milk Diapers, the cheapies suck.

7. The usual baby clothes. Several tee shirts, short and long sleeved (not onesies) if you're having a summer baby. Onesies for winter babies, plus a bunch of cotton sleeper outfits and cotton legging type pants. Just a few of those for a summer baby. a couple sweaters. A nice thick blanket for covering up baby in car, no snowsuits in carseats, that's a no no, but those thin fleece ones are ok. Trifold socks, not the little bootie kind, those don't stay on at all. Several little cotton caps, at least 5 receiving blankets, warmer blankets and hats for winter babies. A manicure kit, I like to use little nail scissors instead of clippers, I always cut the baby when I use clippers. :( Those nails grow super fast! Baby shampoo, I like California Baby and Weleda products. I especially loved the Weleda calendula cream shampoo/wash when I had a newborn. I found it much easier to wash the baby in the sink or take him/her into the shower with me than to try to use one of those plastic baby tub things.

8. Teething stuff, and toys. Skip all the electronic crap. It's overpriced junk the kids get tired of faster than good old fashioned plain things. My kids would rather play with an empty chip bag for hours than watch some piece of junk light up. Soft fabric toys that have different textures are good, like rubber nubbies, crinkly sounds, etc. Wooden stuff is nice, and if it isn't painted, you don't have to worry about nasty chemicals. I had some nice wooden teething rings my kids loved. They weren't the single ring kind, they were a few interlocked rings that they also used as rattles. Oh, one exception to the plastic junk "rule" The Exersaucer. My kids LOVED that thing.

That's really all I can think of. My kids all slept with me, but you will need a crib if that isn't the plan. My crib was a waste of $. ;) I have heard people who are afraid of co-sleeping but have babies who don't sleep away from mom (very very common, and very understandable. I mean, we still have cave people instincts and an alone baby was a dead baby back then) really like the cosleeper thing. I did use my crib as a sidecar on our bed for at least one kid, so that's another option if you get the crib planning on the baby sleeping there and find you need the baby closer.

A good stroller is definitely recommended, but not really necessary. Definitely get a high chair, but not until the baby is 6 mos old. Baby food is a waste of money, mash up the veggies you make for dinner every night, or keep frozen stuff handy to heat and feed the baby. Homemade food is cheaper and MUCH healthier than all that overprocessed overcooked canned stuff.

Oh, by the way, if you want to give cloth a try and want to go with the cheaper prefolds, do NOT buy them at WalMart, Target, etc. But them from a cloth diaper store, probably only over the internet, though I do have on local to me. The Gerber brand or whatever they carry in departments stores are only good for burp cloths, and sometimes not even good for that. You will need real thick old fashioned 100% cotton prefolds, not the poly filled junk that Gerber calls prefolds. ;) A newborn baby will go through at least a dozen diapers a day, some days more, but they slow down on that a lot and by the time they're a year old, they may only go through about 6 a day.

Sorry, I haven't read every post.....
But, my children were 12 months apart, I couldn't
have done it without Baby Diaper Service! Cloth diapers
that someone else washed! Much cheaper that disposable,
and I would rather have cloth that plastic on me!

I didn't read every post, but I have two kids 17 months, 3 days and 3 hours apart... That being said what I had to have...

Breast pump. #1 was exclusively breast fed until I ended up knocked up again. I fed on one side, pumped the other at every feeding (just call me bessy the milk cow). I used an avent hand pump with the air cushion to do that. # 2 never latched so I barrowed a modela (hated that torture device) but she was exclusively breast milk for 2 1/2 months.

Boppy. Still have it for a couch pillow.

Swing. Get one you can plug in, batteries don't last (even rechargables) and they are expensive.

A couple kinds of bottle and nipples. Both kids were picky about what they liked.

Bottle warmer. Some kids won't take tepid milk.

Travel system with an extra base for a second car (you can order them from the company) or a good 3 in one seat (infant, toddler, booster seat all in one, just change the belt and strap positions).

Baby monitor, a good one, not the cheapy things, you want one that has a wide radius in you have a big yard and you have outside work to do.

Zip front baby bags (I don't know what they are actually called, but its a sleeping bag with sleeves). Cotton for summer and fleece for winter. Midnight butt changing is so much easier with a zipper instead of snaps.

Exercauser and or a jumper. Springs are a baby's best friend. I had 2 exersausers and a jumper, burned all three of them up. Those things saved my life.

Cradle for baby to sleep near you, but not with you for the first few months. A pack and play with a bassinet insert worked for my first just as well. The cradled you learn how to rock while you sleep.

Huggies, not pampers or luvs, they have perfume in them and irritate little butts. Plus huggies have a fantastic elastic band in the back of them that keeps even the biggest blasts from shooting clear up to their neck in the back.

A dishwasher basket, who wants to handwash all those little things for pumps and bottles 10 times a day. Have extra parts for your pump, lots of bottles and nipples. Throw them all in the basket hit start. Done.

That's all I can think of this minute.

Last edited:
Wastes of money?

Anything, cute, fuzzy, frilly or pretty for you or the baby. It will get pooped on, peed on, barfed on, food mashed into, and then bled on all in the same sitting lol.

Boppy pillows are great esp for nursing, you cant do just set you mind to it, first look up LLLusa.org it is a great resource for breast feed moms and you can find classes and support groups in your area. also find a pediatrician in your area that shares your values on rasing children and is supportive of breast feeding very important. I breast feed both my girls for the first little while dont keep bottles inthe house and dont pump, some babies get confused early on if you switch from breast to bottle. some dont though it is good to wait till you are well established before you offer a bottle. if you want to co sleep, a co sleeper is a great benifit it goes close to the bed. I always had my girls sleep with me but it is not for all. As someone else mentioned Cloth diapers are great, and they are so much better than they used to be and most stores that sell them have classes to. take bradley meathod or lamaze classes they will really help u whn you need it most. Always remember you are in charge write a birth plan of what you want and discuss it with your dr. If you can get a Doula they are a great resource and a great help to you and your spouse or partner during birth. As far as needs for home. a carseat of course, and a wrap or sling is great. Dont belive you can spoil your baby they are loved, a infant under the age of one can not manipulate you they cry for a reason, you dont have to let them cry it out. reciving blankets are also great to have around, you can never have to many blankets. you will learn fast what you baby needs from you , some need more than others

Go with a sling rather than some sort of complicated front pack for the kid. I had a front pack for the first and a sling for the second...loved the sling, and the kid loved it too. This is worth spending some money for, or buying a good second hand one.

Good quality, well-fitted nursing bras, and a very light weight stretchy exercise type bra to sleep in. With my first I went from a C-cup to an F-cup. I didn't even know they made F-cups! Good bras work. When trying the bra on, make sure you can open and rehook the nursing part with one hand, the other hand will be busy with the kiddo. Skip the fancy breast feeding shirts, you don't need them.

A monitor, especially if you have a two story house.

A good stoller, and a cheap light-weight umbrella stroller.

Baby sunscreen, gas drops, nail clippers, nose goop thingy, etc.

Lots of burp pads.

Mitts...they will scratch their faces.

Socks, especially for a winter baby.

My sons were seven years apart, and things changed dramatically from one to the other, including the preferred sleeping position, recommended vaccination schedule and a myriad of other things.

#1 would nurse anywhere, anytime, and was easily transportable; #2 was easily distracted, and would not nurse in unfamiliar places, especially if it was not dark and very quiet. Add in that he was not nursing completely on his own (medical issues for me that the hospital confounded with nipple confusion when he was only a day and a half old), so a supplementer was extremely valuable to ensure that he received breast milk and not formula (a huge issue for me). Hospital quality breast pump was awesome--realize that you can rent them by the month.

Swing do not work for all kids; just as some babies do not like being rocked, some do not like swings. And different wings have different rhythms, and that may make a difference to your child. My first loved a borrowed swing when I visited my folks, so I purchased one for him when I came home. It was a different brand, with a different rhythm and he hated it.

If you are going to nurse, you do not need bottles.

Disposable diapers can change dramatically in a fairly short timeframe. The best brand with my first was not nearly as good a choice with my second--not because of differences between the boys, but because the diapers themselves had changed. I've been told that diapers (contents, manufacturing methods, etc) tend to change about every 6 months. Some people prefer cloth diapers, and if that is the route you choose, be sure to consider all the different products available, as well as diaper services versus washing our own.

I didn't read every post, but I have two kids 17 months, 3 days and 3 hours apart... That being said what I had to have...

Breast pump. #1 was exclusively breast fed until I ended up knocked up again. I fed on one side, pumped the other at every feeding (just call me bessy the milk cow). I used an avent hand pump with the air cushion to do that. # 2 never latched so I barrowed a modela (hated that torture device) but she was exclusively breast milk for 2 1/2 months.

Boppy. Still have it for a couch pillow.

Swing. Get one you can plug in, batteries don't last (even rechargables) and they are expensive.

A couple kinds of bottle and nipples. Both kids were picky about what they liked.

Bottle warmer. Some kids won't take tepid milk.

Travel system with an extra base for a second car (you can order them from the company) or a good 3 in one seat (infant, toddler, booster seat all in one, just change the belt and strap positions).

Baby monitor, a good one, not the cheapy things, you want one that has a wide radius in you have a big yard and you have outside work to do.

Zip front baby bags (I don't know what they are actually called, but its a sleeping bag with sleeves). Cotton for summer and fleece for winter. Midnight butt changing is so much easier with a zipper instead of snaps.

Exercauser and or a jumper. Springs are a baby's best friend. I had 2 exersausers and a jumper, burned all three of them up. Those things saved my life.

Cradle for baby to sleep near you, but not with you for the first few months. A pack and play with a bassinet insert worked for my first just as well. The cradled you learn how to rock while you sleep.

Huggies, not pampers or luvs, they have perfume in them and irritate little butts. Plus huggies have a fantastic elastic band in the back of them that keeps even the biggest blasts from shooting clear up to their neck in the back.

A dishwasher basket, who wants to handwash all those little things for pumps and bottles 10 times a day. Have extra parts for your pump, lots of bottles and nipples. Throw them all in the basket hit start. Done.

That's all I can think of this minute.

I enjoy reading all the replies. All the information is useful. My SIL has to do the fertility treatments and might end up having a baby around the same time if everything works out between the both of us. This will be her first and she hasn't had any experience before so she is nervous. I'm definitely going to pass the information everyone provided to her also. Due to her work she will have to bottle feed.

With the slings I've read different articles about being careful that the sling doesn't cover their face. They also said young babies that haven't developed the strength in their necks to watch out for due to the sling can press the chin into the chest and injure the baby. At what age are these good to use? I can always tie back the sling to avoid it being in their face. They do look like they would be comfortable to use till the baby is older.

Mom'sfolly, you have me now worried about how big my cup size will get. I already have a hard time finding bars that fit. I did see my current size in nursing bars but I'm worried if I get a lot bigger. An in-law of mine had a baby last month and she ended up with a very large chest during the pregnancy. If they become smaller once I stop breast feeding then I won't be to worried. Might have to order the bras online.

Go with a sling rather than some sort of complicated front pack for the kid. I had a front pack for the first and a sling for the second...loved the sling, and the kid loved it too. This is worth spending some money for, or buying a good second hand one.

Good quality, well-fitted nursing bras, and a very light weight stretchy exercise type bra to sleep in. With my first I went from a C-cup to an F-cup. I didn't even know they made F-cups! Good bras work. When trying the bra on, make sure you can open and rehook the nursing part with one hand, the other hand will be busy with the kiddo. Skip the fancy breast feeding shirts, you don't need them.

A monitor, especially if you have a two story house.

A good stoller, and a cheap light-weight umbrella stroller.

Baby sunscreen, gas drops, nail clippers, nose goop thingy, etc.

Lots of burp pads.

Mitts...they will scratch their faces.

Socks, especially for a winter baby.

Back
Top Bottom