What just showed up in my yard?

I would not bring him in with my flock without having him seperate for at least 3 wks just in case. put some feed outside the yard away from youre flock and see what happens.

Quote:
Honestly the turkey is probably more in-danger of catching something from your chickens...they are much more susceptible to 'common' poultry diseases.

It's a tom, don't think BB because by that age it would have the legs starting to splay. I don't think wild because too much white on the tail tip and legs are more gray (I think wild turkeys have more reddish legs). Beautiful guy!

Where are you located, it definitely a tom, almost has a rio look to it... just an FYI, hens can grow beards as well, its not very likely but can happen. Hens can also gobble, neighbor had a black spanish we bred to my bourbon, layed a clutch of eggs and hatched them, and gobbled every time the bourbon did. can you get some closer pictures of him? Agreed with the disease thing, turkeys are pretty succeptable to chicken diseases, and i really dont think he'll mess with your rooster.

its a bronze male turkey
smile.png
keep him and buy some hens and start raising turkeys

Quote:
I'm located on the eastern end of Long Island. I will get some more pics tomorrow. Are there any angles that would be more useful to see?

I didn't know about turkeys being susceptible to chicken diseases. That is very good to know.

I wouldn't lock him up. Turkeys tend to wander (mine liked to harass the neighbors for awhile), but they always go back home by nightfall. It could be one of your neighbors has a few, and he got separated from the group, or he just got nosy and wanted to check out the neighborhood. If he wasn't earnestly trying to run from you, he's probably someone's bird.

Back
Top Bottom