What just showed up in my yard?

It is an eastern turkey jake. And yes a hen can also grow a beard. I hunt turkeys and shot a hen that had a 7 inch beard. My user name is Callemin which means call them in.... as in turkeys.

Quote:
Eastern Wild turkeys don't have a white tail tip like that and have reddish legs. That guy looks like a standard bronze (I say guy because of the bright red head and fat snood).

Males and females can have beards, but the swollen head said jake so thats what I presume it is.

Quote:
Eastern Wild turkeys don't have a white tail tip like that and have reddish legs. That guy looks like a standard bronze (I say guy because of the bright red head and fat snood).

33356_turk.jpg

Here is a pic from google of an Eastern. I still think it is an Eastern.
wink.png

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33356_turk.jpg
wink.png

I would agree but the wings don't look right for eastern to me. The Easterns have the barred at the wing tip...that guy doesn't. Maybe a mix breed Eastern/bronze since it is likely not a wild turk? I have Easterns. Something about that guy just doesn't look "right" to me. I could be wrong though
hu.gif

Pretty turk either way
big_smile.png

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33356_turk.jpg
wink.png

I would agree but the wings don't look right for eastern to me. The Easterns have the barred at the wing tip...that guy doesn't. Maybe a mix breed Eastern/bronze since it is likely not a wild turk? I have Easterns. Something about that guy just doesn't look "right" to me. I could be wrong though
hu.gif

Pretty turk either way
big_smile.png

I too agree with you saying the Easterns have barred wings. these photos aren't the best to be precise in identification. But i have taken many Easterns and the feather patterns do differ slightly from bird to bird. You may be correct in saying it is a mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tail description from NWTF:

Its upper tail coverts, which cover the base of the
long tail feathers, are tipped with chestnut brown and tail
tips with dark buff or chocolate brown.

Information on all of the wild subspecies can be found The turkey zone http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/wildturkey/eastern.htm I think Goulds is the only one that really has white on the tail.

sorry, i also hunt turkeys alot, basically every day of PAs season, not an eastern. Bieng that the OP is in long Island, tis a bronze. Feather coloration is slightly off for an eastern as well. legs are waaay to thick too for a young jake.

That is a bronze tom that possibly is a cross between a bronze and an Eastern wild. It for sure isn't wild or you would never have gotten close enough to herd it anywhere.

Last edited:
It is a standard bronze Tom hatched last spring. Not a wild turkey at all. I'm sure it has wild in it because all the bronze do. (0% of sellers of eastern, western and rio turkeys are selling bronze turkeys. Kinda like 95% of breeders and 100% of hatcheries selling Ameracauna chickens are selling easter egger mutts!

Back
Top Bottom