What Killed My Chicken?

oreochick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
I had it in my backyard with my other chickens to let them free-range. They are in a fenced in area. Then I went to go grocery shopping for about 30-40 minutes. We came back there were feathers everywhere. We looked behind our washing machine. There she was. Her guts were out. I dont have any dogs. My neighbor has a German Shepard but has never figured out how to open the fence for 6 years.

I hope I can find an answer.
Thank You :)

Last edited:
Thank You!
But I don't have any raccoons or possums where I live. The only predators that I can think of are these things called mongoose they are kind of like minks.

Last edited:
I'm guessing by your response that you live in Hawaii (if not, correct me). In many areas of Hawaii you may find it virtually impossible to free range without eventually losing your entire flock to mongooses. I speak from previous experience. You need to keep them in enclosed runs protected with 1/2 " hardware cloth (not chicken wire). You will need it across the floor of your run as well or the mongooses will dig into your run.

Ok Thank You!
smile.png
And Yes I do live in Hawaii.

I thought coons and possums were problems in raising chickens until I moved from the mainland to the big island of Hawaii and ran into the mongooses. They breed like rats, can get into places like weasels, and will eat anything.

Slightly larger than a mink, but they can back down larger animals like cats and medium sized dogs. They have brought about the extinction of a number of native Hawaiian bird species. On the plus side, some people find them cute, and Hawaii has no snakes and will probably never have any snake species get established because of the mongoose, which kills and eats even venomous snakes. But they sure make it rough on the domestic chicken owner who wants to free range his chickens.

Back
Top Bottom