What killed this Polish rooster? Graphic pictures.

I am sorry for your loss.. It stinks to have critters come in and kill your chicks.. we lost a couple this fall from a mink, the heads were gone and nothing else.. What are you baitin your trap with? We never caught the mink but we set the trap with a couple of fresh eggs, a golf size ball of hamburger and a can of cat food and caught 2 coons and a possum.. I hope you catch whatever it is.. I hate killer critters:barnie

i use to trap alot and i found out the hard way coons are the hardest thing to catch, if you are using a live trap put your bait in the center (away from all edges) behind the trip plate, for bait the best thing for a coon or possium is sardines(the plain ones) leave them in the can just take the top off, if you use a steel trap cover it with leaves pour the juice form the can on it and one sardine then find to felxable twigs (red maple works best) bend them in an arch stick both ends in the ground do this to the both of the long sides of the trap that way he has to reach over them to steal your bait and he will hit the trip plate caught coon!!

i like the steel trap better i found it works better for me. i just want to share a little story with yall about my trapping days, i had set 9 steel traps up and down a creek excpet i had just heard about the twigs and wasnt sure it would work so i set them my normal way(all but one), the next day i went back and checked them coon tracks everywhere and all my traps had been dug up out of the sand and flipped over bait gone, on my last one i caught him using the method i listed above. i caught 100's using that method and if i ever need to catch another one that is the way i would do it.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Sounds to me like one of those dangerous little "Peligros" to me. Kinda surprised that you'd have one in Oak Grove.

Vicious little critter found mostly in the Southwestern US and Texas. They can attack a human, dog, cat, chicken... they are like a cross between a wolverine, weasel and miniature Mexican wolf all wrapped into one terrorist little animal.

I'm certain most of you have never heard of them but those of us in the southwest, southern California and Texas have. In fact, if you drive many roads out in the rural desert areas out here you will see signs all over in big red letters that say "Danger - Peligro".

Yup... vicious little critters that can eat right through that hardware cloth, and tear the head off of a roo...

And if not that... well then it was a coon.

Sorry for your losses and hope you succeed in eliminating the dirty chicken killer . My experience is that there are usually more than one lurking and the trap may catch another culprit that's just attracted to the smell of the rotting victom , but that's a good deal too . Personally , I like the added protection of a " hotwire " as an aid in keeping my animals in and everything else out . When I was wanting to livetrap a coon or possum without having to release a cat every morning I used sweet corn , on the ear if possible . A half ear once caught a mother coon one night , and the other half of ear attracted two out of three of her offspring into the trap on the next night ; with the third still standing next to the trap trying to join its littermates that morning . All told , counting the one found outside of the trap , I caught 6 coons in four nights without ever moving that trap except to rebait it . Sweet corn has become a favorite bait for me .

At our house we use a live trap. We like to bait it with a quarter of can of cat food (so you get more out of the can) set in the back of the trap. Our neighbor has cats that run free and get into our barn all the time. We set the live trap just outside the door to the barn. We cover the trap with some tumble weeds and we have caught SEVEN cat and a coon had striped our trap twice before we caught him that little sucker. We drove the coon in the trap about 20 miles away for the house and droped him off in the middle of the country.

That really stinks about your roster and your hen. Hope you catch the whatever it is good luck.

Back
Top Bottom