What kind of Bantam Hen is Josie?

moonflower17

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014

Josie is a bantam hen. She is on the small side, even for a bantam.

When she first arrived she seemed to think she would be the queen and was quickly taken down a few pegs by the other three bantams. Now she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and seems kind of nervous.

Last edited:
She may be an Old English Game, but I think that she may also be a hatchery-quality Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam.

Thank you!

From the pictures (especially the second one posted by Perfect Polish) I would say OEGB.

I checked online for pictures of Black Tailed Puff Japanese but couldn't find one that looked real similar to Josie, even tho I realize characteristics vary in identical breeds.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I also think this little red hen will become more relaxed as spring comes 'round.

Wow. Great pic of Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam right on this site. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839213/hope-its-a-hen-whats-the-breed

now thinking Josie's ruff makes her look more like the BTBJ...

To add to the complication, chickens can cross breed like very other animal. Not that it matters all that much exactly what she is. Unless you're raising chickens for show, who cares? :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom