What kind of bedding for baby chicks????????

tobin123

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
fountaintown,indiana
We use shavings but then we got the idea of recycling our papers by shredding them and then using these for the bedding.Do any of you all use paper shreddings??What do you use,I guess something I didn't think of was the compost issue.We are only using these for the baby chicks in the house.

I bought two types initially. One from WalMart and one(big bag,2-3 cubic/ft) from Kmart. The pine shavings from Kmart are smaller in size and softer, the one from WalMart although a little cheaper, the shavings were bigger(and is labeled large) with small pieces of wood. I used the Kmat variety up until a couple days ago, then tried the WalMart variety. I found the larger sized variety made me sneeze even though it says less dust, so I went back to the softer Kmart stuff. With complete enjoyment watched my 3 week old chicks snuggle into the softer variety. I'll save the bigger stuff for the coop when they are adult.
frow.gif

I use shavings. My neighbors use these pellets. That I think work way better. They seem to keep cleaner. No savings in the water. I am going to try those pellets with my new babies due to hatch.

For the first 2 days I use flat newspaper with a paper towel on top so they don't slip . This way when they learn to eat it's only chick starter on the floor, not paper or wood chips. After that I use the big bag of shavings at the feed store. It keeps the odor down better than paper and they tend to eat the paper when it gets wet

I have had really good luck with ground corn cobs. the dust is way, way, way, less than the wood pellets and the shavings. our feed store has 40lb bag for $16.00 that lasts 4 brooder pens about 2 months ( i've been hatching alot)

I use pine pellets and haven't cleaned out the brooder yet. It's been 2 weeks. The only smell coming from the brooder is the chick feed smell. I love them. I use them for our rabbit too. I have used them for cat and dog litter too.

I like play sand-really easy to scoop up the poop (made a sieve cleaner out of wire and screen) and keep it clean. Ready made grit for the babies. Last year using only sand had NO pasty butt and I'm thinking it had to do w/ the the sand. I could then throw the sand from the brooder into the run when the girls moved out of the brooder. I'll definately use again.

smile.png

Thanks a lot guys.I am changing my plans and not een going to try the paper idea.I am going to try differnt ideas to see what we like best.The sand idea sounds great.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom