What kind of comb is this and how did she get it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tallyho, Dec 18, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    This little girl is mixed breed chick. I got the eggs from a u-pick farm with a chicken free-for-all. I got the eggs because my broody BA was driving me nuts. Look at this comb...is this considered a pea or buttercup? She's only 3 months old so this comb is not done yet. I don't know who the parents are but I think I saw black and red sex links, RIR (or something solid red), BO, brahmas buff and dark, turken, australorp, barred rock and EE(saw the eggs) hens and roos. She's reddish with a white face and black tail feathers a la buff brahma style. Just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it with the experts.

[​IMG]

2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    buttercup comb

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I can't really tell for sure, but it looks like a combination comb. Single in front and kind of a rosecomb in the back. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It looks like a combination of two different types of combs. I have a buttercup, and it's not a buttercup comb.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kind of looks like an undeveloped buttercup comb to me.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's likely not a buttercup. It is more than likely either a Single comb x V comb or a Pea comb x V comb.

7. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    It's single ridge that branches out and into a complete 'cup'. It's not two parallel rows. From what I understand, the buttercup is a form of 'duplex' comb and is related to the v comb. There were no buttercups or la fleche out on the farm. Wonder what's going on with her. She's very cute though with her white face!

[​IMG]

8. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    It reminds me of carnation combs on penadesencas. Wow, I butchered that spelling!

9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    She is adorable. Is she LF or Bantam?

Quote:

10. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:
    Thank you. I have a sneaking suspicion that the dad might have been a little banty roo. I forgot about him. He was hanging around in the coop with the ladies. She's just slightly larger than some silkies the same age. She hatched from a large brown egg though.
    [​IMG]
    I'll post a follow up pic when she's getting close to laying. Should be interesting to see what that comb ends up looking like. I have no idea what I am talking about but I guess it is possible for her to have both single comb and pea comb genes right? Her strange combo exhibits in what looks like a buttercup, which I think is an entirely different gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by