What kind of coop

AnnaWolf

Songster
Dec 8, 2019
The Netherlands, Flushing
Heey guys, what kind of coop would you recomend for 5-6 bantams?
I would like a coop witch has a litlle storage space/seperate area in the coop and of off the ground.
I am quite handy and have some building skills and tools.
Don't really have predators, only cats and some airial birds of prey.
What do you have? What would you like? What would you recomend?

I recommend your basic storage shed design that you can easily stand up in with nice large windows for light and ventilation, and lots of shelves inside. Chickens love furniture and places to roost on even during the day. You do not need more than two nest boxes. I have ten active layers that use just two out of the five nests they have.

I recommend your basic storage shed design that you can easily stand up in with nice large windows for light and ventilation, and lots of shelves inside. Chickens love furniture and places to roost on even during the day. You do not need more than two nest boxes. I have ten active layers that use just two out of the five nests they have.
My run is only 12.5 m2 so that I won't loose groundspace I want the coop to be lifted. Their aren't any sheds arount here that I'm willing to pay the price for, I am willing to build one but don't like to make changes.

The best reason for a shed type design is that it will be a walk- in structure, so much more user friendly! Raised coops tend to be short, and crawling into one, or crawling under it, not fun for long.
Likely there are more predators than you realize too. Neighborhood or stray dogs? Foxes or weasels? Sometimes even feral cats. Have raccoons arrived there? Rats eat eggs and kill birds too.
We have both bantams and standard birds, and I think that the bantams need as much room as the big birds, 1.5m2 each at least, and as large a run as possible, covered to keep out raptors, at least.
There are many coop plans available; think large, predator proof, sturdy, and comfortable for you.
Mary
And well ventilated!

The best reason for a shed type design is that it will be a walk- in structure, so much more user friendly! Raised coops tend to be short, and crawling into one, or crawling under it, not fun for long.
Likely there are more predators than you realize too. Neighborhood or stray dogs? Foxes or weasels? Sometimes even feral cats. Have raccoons arrived there? Rats eat eggs and kill birds too.
We have both bantams and standard birds, and I think that the bantams need as much room as the big birds, 1.5m2 each at least, and as large a run as possible, covered to keep out raptors, at least.
There are many coop plans available; think large, predator proof, sturdy, and comfortable for you.
Mary
And well ventilated!
I dont have a problem with a raised coop, I have one now i'ts 60 cm of the ground. I would love a shed like stucture just don't have the room. Is there a compromise?
The chickens have a secure run, they need a new coop(next year) to replace the old one.
We have a fenced in yard, the dogs that raom their belong to us. Of witch 1 is a rat and mouse hunter. We are in the suburbs so no foxes or wheasel. And we live in the Netherlands so if I saw a racoon it must be in the zoo(when they wil open again):lau

A compromise is what I have for my coops. They are raised and more along the lines of hutches but still with large enough doors and space inside that I can easily crawl into to clean or do repairs or reach nearly all of the space by standing outside.

After building these coops, I would have preferred the shed type if only I had known then what I know now. Access to the inner space of the coop is number one priority as far as I'm concerned, and it's worth trying to make your coop as easy as possible for you to access the inside. You won't regret it.

The worst coops are the small prefabs feed stores in my country love to pawn off on unsuspecting new chicken keepers - adorable little "doll houses", but unfit for chickens and humans alike.

A compromise is what I have for my coops. They are raised and more along the lines of hutches but still with large enough doors and space inside that I can easily crawl into to clean or do repairs or reach nearly all of the space by standing outside.

After building these coops, I would have preferred the shed type if only I had known then what I know now. Access to the inner space of the coop is number one priority as far as I'm concerned, and it's worth trying to make your coop as easy as possible for you to access the inside. You won't regret it.

The worst coops are the small prefabs feed stores in my country love to pawn off on unsuspecting new chicken keepers - adorable little "doll houses", but unfit for chickens and humans alike.
Never tried prefabs except for a broody.
The coop i have now functions I can reach evryting, and my 3 birds are happy in it. But it's starting to rot on several places, so it has to be renewed next year. I don't have a storage space their now and't I dislike how my posts of my roof are stending. It used to be a firewood shelter, just moved the wood and built my coop in it. I know it can be so much better I need idea's/plans foto's.

When I decided to get chickens fourteen years ago, I did an online search for coop ideas and ended up here on this site. That's how I discovered BYC and became a member a few years later. If you spend a little time scrolling through the threads on this forum, you will get so many good ideas, you will be inspired to come up with a design to incorporate some of them that will work for your purposes.

Many of the threads have step by step construction photos so it's very easy to see how they are constructed.

When I decided to get chickens fourteen years ago, I did an online search for coop ideas and ended up here on this site. That's how I discovered BYC and became a member a few years later. If you spend a little time scrolling through the threads on this forum, you will get so many good ideas, you will be inspired to come up with a design to incorporate some of them that will work for your purposes.

Many of the threads have step by step construction photos so it's very easy to see how they are constructed.
I know love this site, but their are so many coop pages and their are some things I like but not sure what kind of coop would be perfect for my space.
I am not that great in putting the idea's together in a coop.

I know love this site, but their are so many coop pages and their are some things I like but not sure what kind of coop would be perfect for my space.
I am not that great in putting the idea's together in a coop.
I'm currently working on a variation of plans I bought for this (seller photo):
SellerVersion.jpg

I've turned the door to the high side of the coop, made it a shade bigger, added some extra ventilation, and will be doing the nesting box door differently. I also build a platform to raise it 30" off the ground.

This will be home for 4 girls (one silkie) ... Adopt A Bird Network suggests this could hold 6 bantams.

Back
Top Bottom