What kind of coop

3431C19C-7FF5-40F8-AD5D-EBEBC383F029.jpeg
3DD4192D-0CA5-4B20-9314-6C0B17966C29.jpeg
This is one of my coops. It's three and a half meters long by one and a half meters deep. It accommodates the seventeen chickens that use it. I used an old house sliding window as an entrance for light and a nice large door I can crawl through easily to get inside. I love it because the chickens have a big window with lots of light, and they love to sun themselves there when the sun shines in. The perches are pine limbs from my trees. Sand is the bedding and easy to keep clean.

From your post I think you have looked through the coops section under "Articles" in this forum. I'm not real clear why you want a new coop. Is it just for the storage or is something else going on? Do you feel like you need a bigger coop for the chickens?

My thought is to build a separate storage building if you can where you live. Build it in the run. Elevate it if you wish. Make it a convenient size for what you want to store. I think that could simplify it quite a bit, it's just a box on stilts with a roof and access door. No windows. Slope the roof so rainwater runoff doesn't hit you when you are opening the door.

From your post I think you have looked through the coops section under "Articles" in this forum. I'm not real clear why you want a new coop. Is it just for the storage or is something else going on? Do you feel like you need a bigger coop for the chickens?

My thought is to build a separate storage building if you can where you live. Build it in the run. Elevate it if you wish. Make it a convenient size for what you want to store. I think that could simplify it quite a bit, it's just a box on stilts with a roof and access door. No windows. Slope the roof so rainwater runoff doesn't hit you when you are opening the door.
Yes I have, I have to make a new coop becouse some of my posts are starting to rot and some posts are a bit inconviniant placed and looking for some improvements along the way. And I am probably over thinking it.

In some ways I hate to see that go, it looks like something my grandparents would have put together to house chickens. It looks so natural. But if the supports are rotting it needs to go.

I don't have any great suggestions. That run looks so narrow that you could hurt your access if you are not careful. A two story building at the end might be OK, coop below storage, but a bag of chicken feed might be heavy and awkward to lift very high. Every idea I come up with I see a problem.

To me the main thing is to build something convenient for you. The chickens can adapt.

To me the main thing is to build something convenient for you. The chickens can adapt.

Indeed. Chickens are much less fussy about their accommodations than we chicken owners are. I was just reminding DH that while the boards for the structure need to be straight, the chickens will not care if their nestboxes and perches are made from warped wood. :D

In some ways I hate to see that go, it looks like something my grandparents would have put together to house chickens. It looks so natural. But if the supports are rotting it needs to go.

I don't have any great suggestions. That run looks so narrow that you could hurt your access if you are not careful. A two story building at the end might be OK, coop below storage, but a bag of chicken feed might be heavy and awkward to lift very high. Every idea I come up with I see a problem.

Me too love wood, wil repurpose wat I can. It's a litlle over 2 meters wide.
And yes must be convenient,have to put idea's on paper.

Back
Top Bottom