What kind of hen is this

Jrm1208

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
Southeast Texas
Had several hens given to me when they were pullets. This one has darker skin (gray). Dark orange eyes. Single darker red comb. Has some feathering on her legs down to her feet, but not over her feet. She’s mild mannered as well but not one that likes to be held. I believe they said they got them from tractor supply, but not totally positive.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 26
Had several hens given to me when they were pullets. This one has darker skin (gray). Dark orange eyes. Single darker red comb. Has some feathering on her legs down to her feet, but not over her feet. She’s mild mannered as well but not one that likes to be held. I believe they said they got them from tractor supply, but not totally positive.
Some sort of hybrid.. olive egger.. Fibro Easter egger, or the like.. Not conforming to any standard of perfection for pure breed, that I'm aware of.

https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Fibro-Easter-Egger-Day-Old-Chicks-p446066236

Maybe some Marans in the mix.. Cochin crosses pass heavier feathered legs than that.

For the Fibro part.. maybe some Svart Hona or Ayam cemani..

Post #3 (as I type) is probably accurate.. My TSC gets their birds from Hoovers.. and description matches pretty well dead on..

https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html

Funny, I had ruled Silkie out of the cross in my mind.. simply due to the features seen.. no crest, beard, extra toes, and size.. But I'm pleasantly surprised by plot twists and unexpected endings.. (sometimes). :pop

Wow. Gorgeous bird.

Back
Top Bottom