What kind of incubator is best for a small batch of quail?

Quote:
WITHOUT THE TURNER OR QUAIL RACKS FOR THE TURNER.

ALSO IN CASE YOU MISSED IT EARLIER LG'S SUCK FOR GAMEBIRD EGGS (QUAIL ARE GAMEBIRDS) THEY HAVE AN INHERENT DESIGN FLAW--- NOT ENOUGH WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEM... SO THEY USUALLY WILL NOT GET TO AND HOLD A STEADY HIGHER HUMIDITY THAT GAMEBIRD EGGS NEED. IF YOU'RE DEADSET ON A COOLERBATOR AT LEAST GET THE HOVABATOR BRAND THEY ARE MUCH MORE SUITED TO GAMEBIRD EGGS.

Yea, LG (Little Monster) is an embrio killer.

It was my first bator, sure it hatched some chicks, when I spent sleepless nights to watch for deadly temp spikes LG is famous for.

Then I used is as a hatcher sometimes. Now I use Brower TH120 as a hatcher, it makes an excellent hatcher, easy to clean, large capacity, you can see the whole action and most important it has very large surface evaporation for easy and precise humidity control, so my winning combo now is Brinsea ECO20 as a bator and TH120 as a hatcher.

Another great adventage of TH120 as a hatcher is that the fan does not blow directly downwards on eggs drying them up during hatch, but a little fan hidden under the floor blows the air gently upwards , hot air hitting the ceiling and then gentle circulating down

what about a LG forced air, don't they keep a steady temp?

Quote:
Yea, LG (Little Monster) is an embrio killer.

It was my first bator, sure it hatched some chicks, when I spent sleepless nights to watch for deadly temp spikes LG is famous for.

Then I used is as a hatcher sometimes. Now I use Brower TH120 as a hatcher, it makes an excellent hatcher, easy to clean, large capacity, you can see the whole action and most important it has very large surface evaporation for easy and precise humidity control, so my winning combo now is Brinsea ECO20 as a bator and TH120 as a hatcher.

Another great adventage of TH120 as a hatcher is that the fan does not blow directly downwards on eggs drying them up during hatch, but a little fan hidden under the floor blows the air gently upwards , hot air hitting the ceiling and then gentle circulating down

Well, mine does not! There is a lot more to incubating COTURNIX maybe even all game birds, than a steady temp.. Please don't get me wrong, the LG is a perfectly fine incubator when dry hatching chicken eggs!

Forced air is another up-charge that makes me chuckle! It's also called circulated air/etc. What it really means is that the incubator manufacturer included a 99 cent fan into their design, and want to up-charge you $10-$20 extra.

Quote:

Well, mine does not! There is a lot more to incubating COTURNIX maybe even all game birds, than a steady temp.. Please don't get me wrong, the LG is a perfectly fine incubator when dry hatching chicken eggs!

Forced air is another up-charge that makes me chuckle! It's also called circulated air/etc. What it really means is that the incubator manufacturer included a 99 cent fan into their design, and want to up-charge you $10-$20 extra.

would it be cheaper for me to make my own incuabtor?

It's defiantly cheaper to build your own incubator. There is a whole thread devoted to homemade bators on the board. I'll try post some pics of my first and second efforts if I time and get some decent pics. They are my hatchers now.

I just use a regular old huva bator for my quail eggs. It was 90.00 with shipping. Complete with a fan and a copper wafer thermostat instead of an electronic or computerized one.

Incubaotors are easy to make with just about anything. Especially a small one for only a few eggs. A styrofoam cooler with a heating pad and a bowl of water or a spunge works great for snake eggs, which require a lower temp and higher humidity, but same concept anyway.

My incubator gives good hatchability with 5 eggs or 50, so I'm happy.

I just had a quail hatch finish in a King Suro 20, its nice not having to fiddle with the temps, I think if you get one thats digital (sometimes you can find good deals on used) you will have an easier time. The brinseas look really nice too, the plastic is easier to clean than styro and sturdier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom