What Kind of Knife Do You Use To Make The Kill Cut?

The trick is to find the Right Spot on the neck, then any kind of sharp blade will do. I put the birds in cones, draw out their heads, gently pull and bend to one side so the skin is taut. There's a bare spot just behind the point of the jaw, on the side of the neck.

I've used utility knife blades (both the trapezoidal and the long rectangular ones). The ones designed for cutting through wallpaper seem the sharpest. It helps to stick some duct tape to them, or tie a bit of cord to them, so they don't get lost in the grass.

I also like a fish fileting knife I bought at WalMart in the fishing equipment aisle. It's long, thin, & sharp.

But really, any sharp knife will do, even a paring knife. It needn't be long or thick. It's best to find that bare spot, otherwise you're sawing through feathers and making the job take longer and dull your knife sooner. And having the neck stretched & bent makes the skin taut and easier to slice. I set the blade in place and make a firm decisive cut in & forward, away from me & my hand. I'm right-handed so I start on the right side for my first cut. If you get a good flow of blood you know you've done it right and sent your bird Across The Road in an instant. Then I make a similar cut on the other side. I usually hold the head steady until it stops flopping around, to direct the blood into the can and keep it from spattering around everywhere.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Fillet-Knife-6/188892796?athbdg=L1600

Would this one do?

Back
Top Bottom