What kind of pigeon is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can’t find the owner, you may be able to rehome it on this Facebook page (if you’re on Facebook): https://m.facebook.com/groups/Palomacy/. Good luck!
Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook. I did put a post on craigslist so we'll see if anything comes of that. Here's another picture.
20211108_061511.jpg

I can't believe how quiet and calm it is. I haven't heard a peep from it.

Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook. I did put a post on craigslist so we'll see if anything comes of that. Here's another picture.
View attachment 2891667
I can't believe how quiet and calm it is. I haven't heard a peep from it.
I hope it is just calm and not sick. Pigeons are a lot like chickens and hide their illness. What color is its poop?

You can always keep a single pigeon as a house pet. I will tag @Serin if he was any advice for you.
There are no leg bands on him/her?? then it is likely someones runaway pet. By the shape of head,, I get a feeling it is from the Roller family,, rather than Homing family. Rollers cant find home if more than short distance away. That means,,, they can loft fly, and return. If one is chased by a flying raptor,, like a hawk,, they get lost, and cant find home.
Consider posting where possible that a pigeon was found. The owner may live not very far from you.
WISHING YOU BEST WITH PIGEON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

You can always keep a single pigeon as a house pet. I will tag @Serin if he was any advice for you.
There are no leg bands on him/her?? then it is likely someones runaway pet. By the shape of head,, I get a feeling it is from the Roller family,, rather than Homing family. Rollers cant find home if more than short distance away. That means,,, they can loft fly, and return. If one is chased by a flying raptor,, like a hawk,, they get lost, and cant find home.
Consider posting where possible that a pigeon was found. The owner may live not very far from you.
WISHING YOU BEST WITH PIGEON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thank you!
Leg band was the first thing I looked for, unfortunately it does not have one.
I plan on keeping it for now, at least for a few weeks while I look for the owner. I'm not sure what I'll do after that. I don't know anything about pigeons, so I'll need to do some research.
Thank you for your reply ☺️

Thank you!
Leg band was the first thing I looked for, unfortunately it does not have one.
I plan on keeping it for now, at least for a few weeks while I look for the owner. I'm not sure what I'll do after that. I don't know anything about pigeons, so I'll need to do some research.
Thank you for your reply ☺️
Ask anything you need to know. I, and many others on this forum can answer all your questions.
Two bits of info about food, and water.
You can feed your pigeon wild bird seeds with no problem. I used to feed mine that along with regular pigeon seed mixture. Offer some grit free-choice if you can. You can just sweep up some grit from the ground,,. (cracked oyster shells will work also, as any chicken grit as well)
Water,, pigeons need water to be somewhat deep in container. They drink by immersing whole beak into water. Unlike chickens that drink by sipping, and lifting head to send water down.

Ask anything you need to know. I, and many others on this forum can answer all your questions.
Two bits of info about food, and water.
You can feed your pigeon wild bird seeds with no problem. I used to feed mine that along with regular pigeon seed mixture. Offer some grit free-choice if you can. You can just sweep up some grit from the ground,,. (cracked oyster shells will work also, as any chicken grit as well)
Water,, pigeons need water to be somewhat deep in container. They drink by immersing whole beak into water. Unlike chickens that drink by sipping, and lifting head to send water down.
Thank you, that is very helpful. I don't have any bird seed, but I do have quinoa so that's what I was giving it for now. We will probably go to town this week so I'll be able to get some bird seed if I still have it. Also good to know about the water. 👍

You can give him chicken feed, or duck feed also. No harm there. I myself use Alflock for my flock of chickens. because I have layers, and geriatric Non-layers. Alflock is also OK for ducks. even though I do not have ducks.
A pigeon fancier that sometimes chimes in on these forum post , feeds his flock of pigeons chicken pellets.
I tried offering chicken pellets to my pigeons,, but they did not eat it.. If they would get hungry enough,,, I know they would eat them.
My pigeons always had the pigeon seeds available,,, so that was the likely reason.

You can give him chicken feed, or duck feed also. No harm there. I myself use Alflock for my flock of chickens. because I have layers, and geriatric Non-layers. Alflock is also OK for ducks. even though I do not have ducks.
A pigeon fancier that sometimes chimes in on these forum post , feeds his flock of pigeons chicken pellets.
I tried offering chicken pellets to my pigeons,, but they did not eat it.. If they would get hungry enough,,, I know they would eat them.
My pigeons always had the pigeon seeds available,,, so that was the likely reason.
The only chicken feed I have is layer... I'm guessing that's fine in a pinch for short term but probably too much calcium overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom