What kind of pigeon is this??

Hmmmm, NOT a dove and NOT Fantail, but it is a bird with a "fanned" tail. This pigeon is from the Tumbler group of breeds. There have been so many different Tumblers from former Soviet and Middle Eastern countries added to pigeons in the US that I simply don't have a definitive answer. Google "Tumbler pigeons" and see what pops up. I used to cultivate some Kasan and Krasnodar Tumblers; they look similar to your pigeon.

You have a little "gem" just the same.

Thanks! Sadly, Utah has a big problem with people dumping birds. I work with the local avian rescue group and am shocked at times to see the number of quality purebred ducks and geese that get rounded up from popular dumping grounds. So it would not surprise me if she was a show quality purebred pigeon. However, it doesn't matter if she is a rare purebred or a mutt. I think she is a gem, too!!

After reading up on the breed and googling a bunch of pictures, I am sure she is a Taganrog Tumbler. I found a number of local tumbler breeders. I will try to call them to see if anyone knows where she came from.

She is flying much better since she has gotten her bearings inside the house (we are letting her out of cage 2x daily) and she is getting a bit trickier to catch. Not sure how to train her with treats to return when called, but hope to figure it out soon before she becomes uncatchable. I've tried offering her pieces of sunflower hearts but she shows no interest. Any suggestions for other treats to try?

I'm pleased you figured out what breed she is. Yes, get in touch with local tumbler breeders. They would KNOW where she originated. Of course, you'll want a pair, I'm sure. How could you resist? She would JUMP on that sunflower seed if she KNEW what it tasted like.

If she is recovering it might not be a good idea to get her a bit hungry, then offer her a pigeon treat--like canary seed, Spanish peanuts, safflower, or hemp seed. And I mention that this is "feed grade" hemp seed sold for birds. Pigeons respond well to hunger-treat conditioning. You can get them to do just about anything with that approach.

Have fun.

Ahhh, if she was donated to the vet to euthanize for research, it may not be a great idea to let the donator know that you ended up with it. She's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom