What kind of pigeon is this??

Thanks for the information! I will give these treats a try! She either has a full belly from free-choice food in her cage or she doesn't recognize safflower seeds or crackers. I bet my vet has some hemp seed and I will see if he will bring me some when he comes over to hang out tomorrow.

The previous owner did not donate her to my vet. She must have gotten lost as she was found at a local park with a catch and dispose policy. And the park officials provided the pigeon to my vet for his research. There is always a chance that she was dumped by the owner and that is how she wound up at the local park, but I figured it was worth trying to find out. So far, no luck as her tag had no id information on it but I'll keep calling around.

As for getting her a mate, I am not interested in getting a male. I know how rapidly their numbers can multiply, and since I already have 50 birds (geese and ducks), I don't want that number to balloon more than it already has. But I may get her a female buddy once hubby builds her a large pen.
wink.png

LOL. Multiply they do. What's the info on her band? Is it similar to this? NPA-2012-BA-1451. If it has NPA that means National Pigeon Association but they don't keep records of the owners, only of the organization or distributor who bought the bands. That's a longshot. Talking to local pigeon fanciers is less of a hassle (usually). And she didn't necessarily have to be "dumped." Even Fancy breeds can fly off the loft (or out the loft door) and get carried away by the wind or the amazement that they actually have tons of room in which to roam. The real fancy birds just aren't capable of surviving in the freedom they find outdoors. Good rescue.

There was no id information, it was just generic blue colored band. But I found a Taganrog breeder about an hour away from where she was picked up and have left a message for this person.

Like I said previously it is definitely a show pigeon. Most likely an Indian fantail mix possibly. They have feathered feet as a rule. They are usually poor fliers and not much of a homing instinct. Of course there are always exceptions. They can loft fly and range around the neighbourhood with not much problem. Fanciers use them as drop birds to aid in trapping of Racing pigeons in a lot of lofts. She is one gorgeous bird. Here is a champion Indian fantail.

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments! I talked to the local Taganrog breeder today and he is not missing any birds, nor has he gotten any calls about someone missing anyone. He also commented that people in our area do not appreciate show pigeons and he has a hard time selling them for $5. So chances are that even if my pigeon got lost, her owners are likely not missing her. He gave me some helpful information, including assuring me that she would be ok as a solo bird whereas ducks/geese would not. She is clearly becoming comfortable in her new place and prefers to spend much of her time on the floor instead of perched above. I'm not the best photographer of pigeons and it is hard to capture the tail fully upright, but here she is today. I thing she is charming.
love.gif

I bought these birds at a recent swap meet. I'd like to have rollers...since I'm new to the hobby and don't want to wait months or generations to be able to let them fly around.

They look similar to these Blue Almond Homers: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/Homers/BRKHomers.html

Can anyone determine if they are rollers or homers just from these pictures? There is a band on one of them but I haven't had a chance to write down the numbers on it. They were just introduced to their new home and I didn't want to stress them out by handling them too much.

I'll upload a profile picture later tonight and try to get the numbers off the band.

(I don't mean to hijack the thread. I just figured since i have the same question, I'll continue on in this thread.)

Last edited:
Welcome to byc, Represto and congrats on your new pigeons! No worries about asking on this thread. The people who responded to my original post were awesome in helping me figure out what type of pigeon I have.
big_smile.png

Now if only I could figure out gender as I am starting to suspect she is a he.......

I have the two birds in my aviary, which is a 4m x 1.5m chicken wired section of my garage. I tried to grab them so that I can inspect their red bands....but they're rather elusive. When I'm not chasing them around, they both remained perched in the same spot all day. There's a tidy pile of poop under them...and only under them. Thank goodness I made sure that they have a giant enclosure!

I bought these birds at a recent swap meet. I'd like to have rollers...since I'm new to the hobby and don't want to wait months or generations to be able to let them fly around.

They look similar to these Blue Almond Homers: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/Homers/BRKHomers.html

Can anyone determine if they are rollers or homers just from these pictures? There is a band on one of them but I haven't had a chance to write down the numbers on it. They were just introduced to their new home and I didn't want to stress them out by handling them too much.

I'll upload a profile picture later tonight and try to get the numbers off the band.

(I don't mean to hijack the thread. I just figured since i have the same question, I'll continue on in this thread.)
I think they look more like rollers, but there are a lot of different kinds of rollers.
I have Birmingham Rollers and West of England tumblers.

After reading up on the breed and googling a bunch of pictures, I am sure she is a Taganrog Tumbler. I found a number of local tumbler breeders. I will try to call them to see if anyone knows where she came from.

She is flying much better since she has gotten her bearings inside the house (we are letting her out of cage 2x daily) and she is getting a bit trickier to catch. Not sure how to train her with treats to return when called, but hope to figure it out soon before she becomes uncatchable. I've tried offering her pieces of sunflower hearts but she shows no interest. Any suggestions for other treats to try?
You could try corn.

Back
Top Bottom