1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of predator could it have been?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spish, Oct 7, 2012.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    friday morning 6am,rainy cold weather, i let out the chickens / turkeys / ducks / donkey as i do every morning.... go back inside after filling feeders and water buckets and get my kids up and ready for school. 7.15am i peek out the window to see if its still raining and can't believe my eyes. bodies and feathers everywhere....5 big turkeys (including 2 x toms weighing in at +25kg each), 2 muscovy ducks and so so many chickens...spread over the whole length of the field (120m x 100m)

i hadnt heard a thing (normally the donkey brays or the geese honk if theres something lurking out there)

the only injuries i could see are bites to the necks.

only one chicken had its head and neck missing, all the other bodies had only a single bite wound to the neck

what on earth could bring down so much poultry in a short time..and something as big as male turkeys??

and without anyone making so much as a squark?

no gaps in the fencing/wire....but its only 1m80 high

checked in all the muddy spots but couldnt see a single footprint other than poultry prints...

would it have been a fox? im guessing weasels/stoats cant bring down turkeys??

whatever it was i think we disturbed it as all the bodies were still warm and the rest of the birds were all in a panic hiding under houses etc..

any ideas?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    how terrible ! with that many being attacked sounds like dogs, foxes, coyotes? so sad !

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Stoat

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    can a stoat really bring down big males turkeys?from what ive read on them the biggest thing they can kill is a rabbit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by