what kind of predator could it have been?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
friday morning 6am,rainy cold weather, i let out the chickens / turkeys / ducks / donkey as i do every morning.... go back inside after filling feeders and water buckets and get my kids up and ready for school. 7.15am i peek out the window to see if its still raining and can't believe my eyes. bodies and feathers everywhere....5 big turkeys (including 2 x toms weighing in at +25kg each), 2 muscovy ducks and so so many chickens...spread over the whole length of the field (120m x 100m)

i hadnt heard a thing (normally the donkey brays or the geese honk if theres something lurking out there)

the only injuries i could see are bites to the necks.

only one chicken had its head and neck missing, all the other bodies had only a single bite wound to the neck

what on earth could bring down so much poultry in a short time..and something as big as male turkeys??

and without anyone making so much as a squark?

no gaps in the fencing/wire....but its only 1m80 high

checked in all the muddy spots but couldnt see a single footprint other than poultry prints...

would it have been a fox? im guessing weasels/stoats cant bring down turkeys??

whatever it was i think we disturbed it as all the bodies were still warm and the rest of the birds were all in a panic hiding under houses etc..

any ideas?

can a stoat really bring down big males turkeys?from what ive read on them the biggest thing they can kill is a rabbit?

Back
Top Bottom