What kind of treats do you give when bitter cold?

kat2

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
We have cold hardy hens that survived -24F last winter just fine - our coop is insulated, but no supplemental heat. We're supposed to get another cold spell this weekend - close to -20 at night with daytime highs below 0. I think they'll be fine, but thought it would be nice to give them something additional on the really cold days. We do have mealworms, scratch grains and cracked corn. Anything else?

We have cold hardy hens that survived -24F last winter just fine - our coop is insulated, but no supplemental heat. We're supposed to get another cold spell this weekend - close to -20 at night with daytime highs below 0. I think they'll be fine, but thought it would be nice to give them something additional on the really cold days. We do have mealworms, scratch grains and cracked corn. Anything else?

your doing great with them but yogurt, oatmeal mildly warm even scrambled eggs, meat scraps are great also

I feed my hens the same, summer and winter. Unlimited 18% layers pellets and mixed bird seed scattered on the ground as a treat. The only difference is I give them treats 3 times a day in winter instead of two.
In above freezing temps, I give them a treat at 5am and 9am. If it's below freezing, they get an extra treat at 1pm, when I check for eggs and dump and refill their under coop waterer. They have a heated waterer in the coop. GC

I've been using a super sweet cold day treat for my birds for a couple years now. I have six total so my rations are for just that, give or take. Has a warm and cold season variation and is a natural anti worm/immune booster.

1/2 Lb Layer Feed ( Or whatever feed you use, Soaked in water until mushy)
TBsp. Oregano
TBsp. Garlic minced
Quarter Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
TBsp. Red Pepper Flakes
Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Qtr. Cup Rolled Oats (If I have them)
Handful of Baby Spinach/Lettuce minced

Filler of your choice* Whatever I happen to have around, corn scratch, birdseed, Rooster Booster, etc. Pinch or two.

Once the pellets are soft, I mash them with a spoon and add the other ingredients. Adding the ACV as I go in case I need more moisture until its a smooth paste. This concoction is heated up so its warm, but not hot. They destroy it usually before I even get it in their treat dishes, the struggle is real! For warmer months I would leave out the Corn Scratch as it's a lot of added calories they don't really need.

We do have mealworms, scratch grains and cracked corn.
These are fine...just not too much.

I feed my hens the same, summer and winter. The only difference is I give them treats 3 times a day in winter instead of two.
In above freezing temps, I give them a treat at 5am and 9am. If it's below freezing, they get an extra treat at 1pm, when I check for eggs and dump and refill their under coop waterer. They have a heated waterer in the coop. GC
I do much the same......it's good to give an afternoon treat to get them moving and assess mobility.

I looked at this thread because we just had two freezing days in a row, and apparently we're going to have at least three more. LAME. There's a reason I moved away from MN. Harrumph. This morning I made them oatmeal with a cup of scratch grains and cut up meatballs from last night's dinner. Seemed to go over well. Sounds like you are doing just fine by your ladies.

Back
Top Bottom