What Kind of Worm?

Wanted to update:
She's improving! Meds still haven't arrived so she's been getting ACV and a wet feed with a little garlic. I've swabbed chunks from her throat as I can get them. (Not her favorite part) But I don't see more forming.View attachment 1440730
This was after a snack and ACV. That's what that bit of foam is...
This is awesome news!!!!

HELP!! My FBCM Missy was breathing heavy last night. She seemed a little phlegmy but I thought with the sudden high humidity she could just be hot and moist.
Today she didn’t come down when I let everyone out and I feared the worst. (This is the girl I nursed through 2 wounds in my sugar for wounds thread.)
I went in and she sounds ok but is open mouth breathing and has her tail down. I took her in and tried to look in her throat. (Near impossible) It looked a little phlegmy but I really couldn’t see good. (For not feeling well she sure is strong) I gave her some ACV right down the gullet. Followed by some Colloidal Silver and a few drops of Nutri Drench.
I took her back to the coop and watched. She’s still gaping and generally just standing there. Then—
b96318e4-6558-478a-9ad8-a56f04e7c858-jpeg.1436181

She sorta coughed and grossness.... I thought it was a string of mucus.
07974988-5b7f-4a71-8b02-0a825fb7151a-jpeg.1436180

I think it’s a gapeworm! Thoughts anyone? Mind you I picked it off her face. Dropped it 2x then rinsed it in the sink. If it were mucus I would think it would have broken.

I have Valbazen on hand. Will that work or do I need safeguard? Is it gapeworm? I was all excited last week when I picked up a log in the run and found a bunch of worms. I’m sure she ate one. That’s about the time frame for eggs to become adults.

I’m so worried!

I did give her a dose of Valbazen but that worm is way to long to be a gapeworm or a thread worm. It's not the right shape for a tapeworm or a roundworm.

What on earth did my chicken cough up!?!

Next, general rule of thumb is worm everyone. I have 2 week old chicks in the coop. They can't be wormed and I'm worried by treating all the adults I'll be putting more eggs out and about for the tinies to pick up.
(I guess I'm picturing mass worm expulsion at horror film levels)

Thoughts anyone? @casportpony @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @dawg53
This looks like a tapeworm to me. A little stretched out but still a tape. I recently dealt with tapes and saw no little segments that people speak if in the poop. Only long tapeworms that looked very similar to this photo.

Looking at jefferspet. Of course they won’t tell me how much shipping is or how long it will take. But at least they have it in pill form.

The one with the wormer in it that I can find is a powder. Can’t imagine how I could give it to her. It’s a lot of powder!
Call your local fish stores. They usually have this on their shelf. I recently called a fish store in my area to double check for another BYCer

This looks like a tapeworm to me. A little stretched out but still a tape. I recently dealt with tapes and saw no little segments that people speak if in the poop. Only long tapeworms that looked very similar to this photo.

I treated her with valbazen just in case. No specific fish store around. They all went out of business. Meds are ordered and I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.

So the waterer I had a problem with is a Harris Farms ez fill. I bought it hoping it would be easier to fill. It’s not my favorite. It’s easy to fill but not much else is good about it.
80830B1A-8BA1-42D1-9F96-55AC90B1A131.jpeg

My biggest complaint is that with about a gallon left it stops filling the trough. So when I walk by the outside of the run and look in there seems to be water in it. I think with the water low and sun shining it grew some algae. I didn’t notice at first that the little spout (1 o’clock in the photo) had some in. I clean all the waterers but nothing bigger than a toothpick fits in that hole.

E9CD7A7C-9083-4FC3-8973-548A704E51D4.jpeg

The float (black donut thing) also had filled with water. So if it had algae in too...

I suspect she drank some. Maybe she drinks out of this waterer more. Maybe she’s more susceptible to the algae.

I’m leaning more towards thrush as a diagnosis.

Last edited:
20180623_183946.jpg

That's all that's left. She's not as eating she should. I got some yogurt in her today. I notice when I massage her crop it makes noises. Like a person before they burp. She got some VCO too in case she's got a slow crop. I've been giving her pretty mushy food. I wonder if it goes down easier. She's acting normal but hasn't laid an egg in days.
Everyone else is still clear. Mad as taters for me constantly looking down their throats but all clear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom