Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I am wondering what kind of raptors (aka birds of prey) have attacked your poultry before. By attack I mean dive and attack (or attempt to attack) them, successful or not.

Please vote on the poll and post a comment about wether the raptor caught the chicken/duck/whatever or not and (if you know) what species it was (Red-tailed Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, etc.)!

I have had Great Horned owls kill chickens and even invade a pigeon loft to kill birds. Cooper's hawks have killed many pigeons and smaller chickens. Red tails have killed chickens and young uneducated pigeons. Had an unsuccessful Peregrine attack on a flock of pigeons - actually drove bird to the ground, and it ran under the loft.

Raptors spotted on my property

Bald Eagle --- Carrion / fishing pond
Red-tailed Hawk--- Adult chickens only without cover in winter
Ferruginous Hawk --- Adult chickens only without cover in winter (one visit)
Red-shouldered Hawk --- Not observed to harm chickens
Coopers Hawk --- Immature chickens without momma /rooster protection
Sharp-shinned Hawk --- Small Immature chickens w/out momma /rooster protection

American Kestrel --- Not observed to harm chickens
Merlin --- Not observed to harm chickens

Turkey Vulture --- Not observed to harm chickens
Black Vulture --- Not observed to harm chickens

Great-horned Owl --- All life stage chickens but get small first
Barred Owl --- Small chickens / does not visit when GHO around
Short-eared Owl --- Attempted to catch chicks from brooder, dog caught it
Long-eared Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens
Screech Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens
Saw-what Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens

I doubt Peregrine Falcons are getting anyone's chicken unless on urban garden plot roof. Identification wrong on this species a lot.

Last edited:
Several breeds of hawks and owls.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg

IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

These birds were killed by a Red Tail hawk that got into one of the pens.
IMG_20190911_173150.jpg
IMG_20180730_084715.jpg

Lost a hen to Red Tailed hawk. It came through a hole in the top of the chicken run and then couldn’t get back out on its own. I figure about any hawk, owl, or eagle big enough to be a threat to a chicken is a threat.
Black Vultures are a serious threat to new born baby calves. We lost one this year to a horde of them, and managed to save two calves from them, but have to watch the cows very close when calves are coming.

Sorry everybody, I just realized I made a mistake (my fault) and the poll didn't post, so I added it.

I have had Great Horned owls kill chickens and even invade a pigeon loft to kill birds. Cooper's hawks have killed many pigeons and smaller chickens. Red tails have killed chickens and young uneducated pigeons. Had an unsuccessful Peregrine attack on a flock of pigeons - actually drove bird to the ground, and it ran under the loft.
Wow, scary! Terrible about them invading the loft especially!

Raptors spotted on my property

Bald Eagle --- Carrion / fishing pond
Red-tailed Hawk--- Adult chickens only without cover in winter
Ferruginous Hawk --- Adult chickens only without cover in winter (one visit)
Red-shouldered Hawk --- Not observed to harm chickens
Coopers Hawk --- Immature chickens without momma /rooster protection
Sharp-shinned Hawk --- Small Immature chickens w/out momma /rooster protection

American Kestrel --- Not observed to harm chickens
Merlin --- Not observed to harm chickens

Turkey Vulture --- Not observed to harm chickens
Black Vulture --- Not observed to harm chickens

Great-horned Owl --- Owl life stage chickens but geta small first
Barred Owl --- Small chickens / does not visit when GHO around
Short-eared Owl --- Attempted to catch chicks from brooder, dog caught it
Long-eared Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens
Screech Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens
Saw-what Owl --- Not observed to harm chickens

I doubt Peregrine Falcons are getting anyone's chicken unless on urban garden plot roof. Identification wrong on this species a lot.
Love all the details! You have a lot of raptors over there!

Several breeds of hawks and owls.
View attachment 2142402View attachment 2142404
View attachment 2142414
These birds were killed by a Red Tail hawk that got into one of the pens.
View attachment 2142405View attachment 2142410
Love all your pictures!

Lost a hen to Red Tailed hawk. It came through a hole in the top of the chicken run and then couldn’t get back out on its own. I figure about any hawk, owl, or eagle big enough to be a threat to a chicken is a threat.
Black Vultures are a serious threat to new born baby calves. We lost one this year to a horde of them, and managed to save two calves from them, but have to watch the cows very close when calves are coming.
I've heard about Black Vultures doing that. Scary stuff! Glad you managed to save a couple!

I've lost young birds and bantams to Cooper's hawks occasionally, and haven't seen who was responsible for other probable hawk attacks (seldom).
Mary
I wonder what the other hawks are...

I see that everybody has lost some. Hugs for you all!:hugs

Cooper's killed my one hen, Esmeralda. Agnes, my alpha watchdog hen of that flock, was broody and settin', otherwise, I'm convinced Esmeralda would still be alive.

Lots of red-tailed hawks in the air, especially in the springtime, but Cooper's make forays into our yard to get the birds at our bird feeders (approx 100 yards away from chicken domain).

Turkey vultures and black vultures abound. My girls know the difference, on sight, between vulture species and hawk species. Knock wood, in 10 years I've never had a vulture attack or make an attempt (that I've seen) to get my girls. My hens aren't afraid of the vultures.

When I'm with my girls as they free range, my signal to them is "Eye to the Sky!!" if I see a hawk. My girls immediately either seek shelter, or freeze when they hear that exclamation.

Back
Top Bottom