What Made You Want To Raise Pigeons?

Oct 18, 2018
I would love to hear what made you get interested in pigeons. Every pigeon person out there had something that caught their interest, what was it for you?

For me, it was when I first read a very old book on pigeons. I was fascinated by the fact that you could free fly them, and they would return. After a couple months of planning and research, I took the plunge. I started with four Birmingham rollers, and after a year I got into racers. And I love them!

What about you?

I loved the part pigeons played in history, and found it fascinating that you could fly them wild and they would come back! I also thought it would be a good experience to show them at fair.

I let this dream brew for a while, until my friends decided to downsize their flock and offered to give a pair of pigeons to me for free.

Now I have two Birmingham Rollers, Sher Ami and Commando, and can't wait to fly their offspring! I am working on a larger pigeon loft and plan to get racers soon. I eventually want to enter my future racers into races!

I can't wait to see how other people were inspired to keep these intelligent birds!

I had a Pigeon fly into my garage when I was working on my MC- He was scared & hungry, I gave him some toast a drink- That was at the start of the pandemic, 3 months later we were best friends eating pizza. (I actually didnt know he liked pizza till he landed on the plate & started eating it).

He's very smart & I've named him Cooper, since then I've got 6 more young ones, which one of them he's in l've & trying to mate with- I'm totally new to this.
20200411_173629.jpg

Last edited:
I got into them because my father was raising them. We had ducks, geese, chickens, guinea hens, horses, cows, sheep, pigs, and pigeons on our farm. I loved and love all the animals, but the pigeons were my favorite. It always fascinated me to watch them out flying and doing their own thing and returning home on their own. My father got into them through his father... It's been kind of an inherited trait among certain members of our family (the majority of the family members wouldn't even give them a second look). However the ones who loved them, were involved with them for a lifetime. At times I do get tired of caring for them in the harsh winter months... but I still keep plugging along as my love for them is stronger than my hate for the cold months haha.

I’ve always liked seeing pigeons fly loops around the city and have always been fascinated by their homing instinct. A year or two ago I found you could keep them as pets, and that’s when I got my first pair of pigeons! I’m loving every moment of it!
Can you please post your pigeons
Including your new babies
I love your pigeons so much

Back
Top Bottom