What material should I use in coop and run?

Mjvl

Songster
My chicks are 6-7 weeks old and I’ve been getting them used to being outside over the past 2 weeks. I plan to move them to their coop which has a built-in run. I’ve read tons of articles on this site and watched tons of videos but I’m not sure what is the best material to put in the coop and/or run.

For the coop - I was thinking of using Hemp
- Do I need to add PDZ and/or DE to the Hemp?

For the run - Right now it’s grass, but it will be gone once the girls are there full time
- What should I use in the run to keep it from getting muddy, good drainage, and keeping the smell down?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Attachments

• 27E25D09-911F-4E21-8E6D-45ACFE802B55.jpeg
    27E25D09-911F-4E21-8E6D-45ACFE802B55.jpeg
    717.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DF82A520-6C7A-45D2-9983-84E847A737D2.jpeg
    DF82A520-6C7A-45D2-9983-84E847A737D2.jpeg
    885.1 KB · Views: 24
Hemp is great in the coop. I use that and/or pine shavings.
I keep a thick layer of wood chips in the run. The chickens do a decent job of turning it over but there are some spots I will turn about once a month.
I've never removed anything from the run.
View attachment 2827676
DobieLover, What is the size of your run? I love its design. So dry and clean too 🐔 ❤️

I use Hemp in my coop since early June. Its about 4-6 inches deep. I have not experienced any smells or issues in the 4 months i've had it. I do turn the top layer once a day. I think it does a great job of drying out the poop and keeping smells down. I do not add any type of product for bugs but I do add dried lavender and mints that I grow. Before the winter here in CT I will add about 1 inch of Hemp. It just seems like a good idea with the cold weather coming. There may be days I cant make it out there to turn it. 🐔❤️

I keep a thick layer of wood chips in the run. The chickens do a decent job of turning it over but there are some spots I will turn about once a month.
View attachment 2827676

View attachment 2827676

Wow! You’re run is awesome! Will definitely keep this in my ‘idea’ book for future coop/run endeavor.

I use Hemp in my coop since early June. Its about 4-6 inches deep. I have not experienced any smells or issues in the 4 months i've had it. I do turn the top layer once a day. I think it does a great job of drying out the poop and keeping smells down. I do not add any type of product for bugs but I do add dried lavender and mints that I grow. Before the winter here in CT I will add about 1 inch of Hemp. It just seems like a good idea with the cold weather coming. There may be days I cant make it out there to turn it. 🐔❤️
Thanks for the information.
Do you scoop out the poop or just turn the top layer?
What do you use in your run?
Thanks

DobieLover, What is the size of your run? I love its design. So dry and clean too 🐔 ❤️
It's 28' x 12' with an 8' x 16' annex in the back divided between the dust bath area and the maternity ward run.
The flock spends most of their time out in their pen and only use the run while waiting for me to let them out, in winter when there is too much snow on the ground for them, during heavy rain and when they come in to eat and get a drink.
This is the pen.
chicken bush.jpg
Barb with Fabio and chicks.jpg
group sunbathing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom