What might be the problem with my silkies?

Yup nobody is really being mean, just trying to help..layer ration is the way to go. Our silkies like the crumble to..

I raise meat birds in tractors and it does take them awhile being moved. but they will get use to it. Just give them the good feed and in the heat nice fresh water twice a day will get them back up to weight and off to a good start again..

Hope all turns out well for you..
jumpy.gif

Charlie

I got layer pellets, cracked corn, chick starter, sulmet, another waterer, and another feeder. The lady up front asked "exactly how many chicks and chickens do you have?"

I've got my indoor chicks & turkeys started on sulmet water (do I still give them 3 drops of polyvisol once a day while on sulmet? And how long do they need vitamins?) and I'll be starting the silkies on the layer pellets tomorrow.

I don't know what our scratch mix has either but there's lots of stuff in it. I'm pretty sure ours had layer pellets last time I got some.....

Somethign I think everyone has kinda missed in all these posts is that silkies aren't always the most prolific layers. With the stress of being moved to a new home, in combination with the excess heat, they will slack off on their laying. As for having to have layer pellets, they do not have to have "layer," they can be on a 16+% protein feed and do just fine. Studies have shown that the layer pellets are actually bad for the roosters and the extra calcium builds of in the liver (I think, dont quote me on that). I can get the studies if needed. But over all, I believe that the most important thing for laying birds is clean, fresh water. An egg is 99% water, so it is very important that they have access to clean water all the time. Secondly, the feed. But do not be discouraged by the posters here, they are all trying to help.

As for the post that said only to give scratch to young birds>>>NO. Young birds are not able to digest the whole grains, and it is not a good idea to feed scratch to birds under 10 weeks. JMHO. Good Luck!

Quote:
I had always heard that layer pellets wasn't good to use as the only feed, thus the mixture. I change their water at least twice a day, sometimes 3-4 times when it's really hot. As for the chicks, I only feed starter and grower until they are about 12-16 wks old.

Thanks for posting
smile.png

WELL , I was told by several . 1st. Starter feed until 8 weeks old . 2nd. Grower feed from 8 weeks until they start laying , and THEN 3rd. straight laying pellets ..... Also a bowl of GRIT available . Snacks etc.

BUT , once they start laying , LAYING PELLETS .

Quote:
WHY do you mix their layer mash with warm water ? I can see doing that in the cold winter months , but in the summertime ? I prefer to give mine anything that will cool their systems off .

I think pellets are just personal choice for layers. Some people think they waste lest. My chickens hate pellets. They are spoiled no less. So I give the crumbles.

Quote:
WHY do you mix their layer mash with warm water ? I can see doing that in the cold winter months , but in the summertime ? I prefer to give mine anything that will cool their systems off .

Because, its winter over here!, and its frosty!!!
Im in Australia/downunda!!!
Our scratch has everything in it, cracked corn pellets, wheat, vitamins and mineral powders etc, ill get the label and let you know.
My silkies also go Off the lay regularly, I dont think they are good egg producers , not to feed My family anyway. However when they do, boy they go broody so i let them keep their eggs to hatch.
I keep Silkies as sweet little "exotic ground parrots" as Purple chicken would call them.
I keep the light sussex for omelette providers.

Well layer ration is a must if you plan on having eggs someday with any breed of chickens...Penned birds will need it, most of us who keep chickens have them for the eggs, Roosters here must eat what we feed the hens..However we replace are roosters every 2-3 years so we have never seen anything happen to a roo in that time period with eating layer rations..this is over a 14 year span of raising chickens..

Now freeranged birds have a good choice of bugs and other plant matter to choose from to get what they need, however we still keep layer ration in there coops and if they want it they get it, we also have a dish of oyster shell for free choice on the freeranged birds as well as are penned birds..,

although when winter comes here in the north all that is gone(bugs and other plant matter) for freerange birds and a supplement should be given(like oyster shell if your not using layer ration)..

As for silkies you can always breed towards good egg production or broody abilities..you select the birds for breeding by what your after.

On super hot days most of our birds will slow down on egg production..less feed eaten, less egg production..

Just my 2 cents on layer rations..These are self studies
old.gif

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom